Sneezing chick

pepperluvsmee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Glen Rock, PA
Hey peeps. My polish is still sneezing. She is not getting worse, nor is it getting better. There is no wheezing coming from her lungs, her breathing is fine. She is on pine shavings, but has been for 2 weeks. She is going on 3 weeks old.
No one else has started sneezing, altho my cuckoo maran is a bit on the thin side. Can chickens of this age get worms from their mom and if so, can I worm them?
The Polish (MoJo) usually sneezes more I notice after she eats. Or has a full crop and lays down.
She has lost weight, so I made her and the others a mash and they ate it like they have not eaten in weeks. They always have fresh food and water and are active. (Even the polish)
I gave the polish some liquid vitamins and crushed up a selenium pill and put it in thier water.
I don't know what else to do. I am going to try another type of bedding and see if that helps. Maybe it is something that has to run its course? (Is there such a thing with chickens?) Something stuck in her crop? She poos regularly and it looks fine. She does not sit fluffed up or show any signs of distress other then the sneezing.
If I gave antibiotics, which should I give for this? Tetracyclin? How much? I also have a broad spectrum antibiotic I keep on hand in a liquid form. I am going to wait until I try the new bedding b4 I admin any neds other then the vits and selenium.
Any suggestions would be helpful. If I forgot to mention any info you need, please LMK ASAP.
I may call my vet and see what he says, but I find that you all have far more knowledge of chickens then he does, even though he tries very hard to figure things out for me with great results.

what is the dosage on that selenium...is your bird then showing neurological symptoms? make sure the selenium is NOT from the source selenite or selenate...this is poorly absorbed . you should not exceed 50MICROgrams max and for a chick this young and if not showing neurological symptoms then only give twice max to avoid any toxicitiy issues (selenium has a very narrow therapeutic range >selenium and vit E are co dependent on each other so you should be giving vit E alaong with that)
mist those shavings... if the humidity is low, that coupled with dust from the shavings could be causing the sneezing.

Thanks so much for the advice, another started sneezing last night, so I started the Terrimyacin in the water for everyone in the brooder.
2 tsp to one gallon. Not sure if things will go my way or not. It is frustrating trying to figure out the best course of action. I know I will not be getting chicks in early spring ever again, it is just too cold and I think these may have caught a cold.
-Theresa

Back
Top Bottom