Sneezing Chick

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) She is a 5-day old hamburg x ameraucana cross. She is the smallest of all the chicks but not by much.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She behaves just like all of the other chicks, except she moves a bit slower and is not as hyper- regardless, she is still energetic.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? since she was 3 days old.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing I can think of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Purina Medicated Start and Grow crumbles, and fridge water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. I have not seen her poop- if this is important, I will watch her until I see what it looks like. She is not pasted up, but I know she has pooped as there was a tiny piece of poop stuck on a part of her fluff near her butt.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Myself treating, with an easily acquired medicine or antibiotic or remedy.

To summarize, my 5 day old chick is sneezing, and has been for 2 days. They happen about every couple of minutes, sometimes longer than that, sometimes shorter than that. She behaves fine, just a bit slower--- possibly due to the fact she is the smallest. She has no discharge as far as I can tell. she is the only one sneezing. I could get a video... in fact I will.

Help?

She pooped while I was holding her:

(blurry)

The poop closest to camera in the above picture looked like a bunch of segments clumped so I seperated them:

Skip to around 40 seconds and watch from there to see weird sounds and sneeze.

Last edited:
Have any other birds on your property ever had sneezing or a respiratory disease before? Wild birds can also bring it in. Infectious bronchitis is a virus that spreads throughout a whole flock, and can be given to other chickens that are hatched or brought in for up to a year. Sneezing is the main symptom, but unfortunately chicks have a much harder time fighting it, many times dying or suffering kidney damage. Isolate the chick and watch it for a few days. If it continues to sneeze or develop facial swelling, eye bubbles, or nasal drainage, it may die. If there is no more sneezing, it may have just been dust or something irritating to it's nose.

Hi it does sound like a respiratory illness. You can treat her with tylan50. For babies you will give one tenth of a cc orally once a day for five days. You can get the tylan 50 at the feed store. please don't worry that the bottle says for cattle and swine.many poultry owners including myself choose to treat with tylan50 because it has very successful results against respiratory illness. If she were mine this is how I would treat her. You should start seeing improvements in a few days. I do hope this is helpful to you.I believe the bottle of tylan50 is around 12 dollars. I wish you the best and God bless

One of my deceased hens had eye bubbles. They would come and go, and were not constant.

More of her chirps are sounding like the ones found near the end of the video at around 45 seconds.

Is there anything other than tylan 50?

Back
Top Bottom