Sneezing chicken? Squeaking like a rubber chicken

kalibali04

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 12, 2014
I have a chicken who has been sneezing (I think it’s a sneeze) for a couple weeks. It’s not a lot, but it hasn’t resolved. She also recently started gasping for breath at times. The past 2 days she’s been a little more lethargic and today I saw her sitting with her eyes closed for a bit. But otherwise she is free ranging with the rest of the flock.

I have been putting VetRX on for 3 days now...

I have attached a video from right after applying VetRX. She sneezes (squeaks) a lot because of the VetRX, but normally it’s just a handful of these sneezes throughout the day.

Any thoughts on what could be going on? Should I treat her with something other than VetRX?

Does she gasp or shake her head often, as well as sneeze? Can you see any nasal drainage or dirt around her nostrils or any bubbles/foam in an eye, or swelling of her eyelid? Have any others sneezed? I would look her beak over well for anything irritating her nostrils, such as dried secretions or feed.

Does she gasp or shake her head often, as well as sneeze? Can you see any nasal drainage or dirt around her nostrils or any bubbles/foam in an eye, or swelling of her eyelid? Have any others sneezed? I would look her beak over well for anything irritating her nostrils, such as dried secretions or feed.

I will give her a very close look over when we lockup for the night. I have not seen/heard any other chickens sneezing or looking unwell.

I have 2 new chickens with one with an eye closed and breathing problems after one week, tried VetRX it helped but not a cure. So I'm using Tylosin in water on second day breathing well and swelling on eye improved...hope she make a full recovery...

Pic of eye 6 days ago, looks a little better now...Big thanks to the post recommending the Tylosin. local vet wanted $85 for a visit in 4 days don't think she could hold on that long. The place I bought her recommended antibiotic injections, I could but prefer this way just in the water. Sick chicken.jpeg

I have 2 new chickens with one with an eye closed and breathing problems after one week, tried VetRX it helped but not a cure. So I'm using Tylosin in water on second day breathing well and swelling on eye improved...hope she make a full recovery...

Pic of eye 6 days ago, looks a little better now...Big thanks to the post recommending the Tylosin. local vet wanted $85 for a visit in 4 days don't think she could hold on that long. The place I bought her recommended antibiotic injections, I could but prefer this wayjust in the water.View attachment 2902578
Welcome To BYC

Can you get some more photos of her face, wattles and comb?
Looks like she has Fowl Pox. https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Do you have Tylosin Powder that is meant to go in the water or is it liquid injectable Tylan50 (or 200)?

Do you notice any bubbles or pus in her eyes?

Yes, I think @Wyorp Rock is right—it looks like she has fowl pox scabs on her wattles. How much Tylosin are you putting in the water? Do you have powder or injectable liquid. What strength? Fowl pox is a virus, and MG can be a secondary disease.

Back
Top Bottom