Sneezing chicken

chickbybell

Hatching
Jan 8, 2016
Hello. I'm new at this. I raised 4 chickens as babies and 3 tuned to roosters and I had to give them away. Not wanting my other chicken to be lonely I bought a full grown later and on the second day I saw it sneeze and now my third day it sneezed and a bubble came out of nostril. Is this bad? Can she be cured? what do I Do? She eats ok. I gave her lemon in the water fresh basil which she loves. Only had her 3 days now. Help

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Your hen is probably fine. All chickens sneeze from time to time. One of my hens always sneezes when she eats a lot of food. (Due to the dust of the layer crumbles.) When chickens sneeze numerous times, sometimes liquid and bubbles will emerge from their nostrils, just like with us.

Basil is very good for hens so good job with that! Herbs in general are one of the best things out there to help keep chickens healthy.
Good luck with your flock and welcome to our community!
frow.gif

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that your hen is probably fine. If she has no other symptoms and is well in her self. Eating and drinking ok then I would not be too worried. They do sneeze just like us from time to time.

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. I'd also say don't worry about it, unless it get worse. Good luck with her.

Hello and welcome!
Your chicken maybe fine, chickens sneeze to get rid of dust or water, but - like with people- it can bee an infection. Here is a list of the more seriouse infections birds can catch.
To help your birds stay healthy in winter I recommend herbal teas, Thyme, Oregano, marshmallow (the plant not the candy) and fenell have the same effect on birds like they have on people, they strengthen the reperatory and digestive system. Make a strong tea, let ist cool down and serve it with a drop of honey or two. If you have this weed in your garden, keep it! All parts of this weed are beneficial for you and your birds, a cold brew of the leaves and flowers or a mash of the young seed work wonders when you catch a cold.

Back
Top Bottom