Sneezing chicken?

Jwhitty

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
DFW
I've got 4 brahmas... 2 of them are sneezing I think... It's like a high pitched achewwww... Is there any cause to this or of they just have a cold... I've heard that they can get sick if there's too much dust in the coop... I'm new to raising chickens so I'm just trying to figure it out... I may just be overreacting but it seems like 2 of them are sneezing... I've got 1 hen thst makes a soft high pitched noise right after she sits on the roost... It's really faint but it doesn't sound right... It sounds like she's in pain or something... I don't know cause on new to chickens...

Last edited:
If the only symptom is sneezing, it's probably dust, especially if you have a small coop.

Chickens don't get colds, they sometimes get viral respiratory diseases That are much more serious than a cold.

Do you use DE? It is very irritating to the respiratory tract.

I agree with Flockwatcher. If they aren't sneezing constantly, and its the only symptom, it could be because of dry, dusty bedding. However, if you begin to notice more symptoms, it may be a respiratory disease.

Some respiratory disease are viral, other are bacterial. Viral respiratory diseases can't be treated with antibiotics. All you can do is provide supportive treatment, like electrolytes, probiotics, warmth, and good food.

One of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases is Tylan50. It should be pretty easy to find at a livestock supply store. It is usually given as an injection, so you'll also need some small (20-22gauge) needles and some syringes if you decide to get it. It is injected into the breast muscle. The dosage for large fowl is 1cc, and for bantams, it is .5ccs. Give Tylan50 for five days.

I agree with Flockwatcher. If they aren't sneezing constantly, and its the only symptom, it could be because of dry, dusty bedding. However, if you begin to notice more symptoms, it may be a respiratory disease. I think it's probably bedding... I'm using very dry hay right now... Any suggestions on what would be better?

Some respiratory disease are viral, other are bacterial. Viral respiratory diseases can't be treated with antibiotics. All you can do is provide supportive treatment, like electrolytes, probiotics, warmth, and good food.

One of the best antibiotics for respiratory diseases is Tylan50. It should be pretty easy to find at a livestock supply store. It is usually given as an injection, so you'll also need some small (20-22gauge) needles and some syringes if you decide to get it. It is injected into the breast muscle. The dosage for large fowl is 1cc, and for bantams, it is .5ccs. Give Tylan50 for five days.

Back
Top Bottom