Sneezing Chickens! Help

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hello all,
I am new so this might be kinda dumb....
My (5 week old) Cornish X were sneezing/sniffling today. Not constantly, but they were. It is pretty chilly and damp right now weatherwise. I moved them to a drier area. They are all eating, (medicated starter), drinking, and playing.
Is it just the sniffles or something worse?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I just noticed you posted this yesterday and no one responded. Chickens do sneeze, they're dusty little creatures. If they don't have any gunk in their nose or eyes and aren't making any weezing or gurgling sounds, I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on them. Good luck!

X2
my girls sneeze as well, not constantly and I have noticed its subsided a bit with the weather change. Unless you notice any other symptoms (water eyes, noes, gargling sounds) I would say its most likely environmental and they are probably fine.

I did treat with Denegard as a precaution, however, they still sneeze. I decided it was the elevated pollen count this summer, that and the dusty pine shavings.

yeah, mine sometimes sneeze, especially when inside the coop, where I use pine shavings...

Thank you! What are some "preventative treatments"? For example, you mentioned Denegard. WHat is that?

Chickens can sneeze for a variety of causes. One is management or husbandry. Maybe the air is dusty. Maybe there is ammonia in the air. Likewise, chickens may be on medicated feed. Maybe the feed is dusty.
Several bacterial organisms may cause the signs you described. I think first of Hemophilius. Mycoplasma is also right up there. Chlamydia are also a possibility.E. coli is certainly a possibility. Salmonella is another possibility. Less probable is Ornithobacterium.
Potential viral diseases include NewCastle disease, Infectious bronchitis, Laryngotracheitis

Back
Top Bottom