sneezing chicks

chickenmom78

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2019
Hi, I have six 4 week old chicks that have been randomly sneezing but otherwise look healthy. Do I need to be concerned? Does anyone know if I can have them tested for common resp. illnesses or should I just watch them? Wouldn't they be obviously sick by now if it was respiratory illness? My biggest concern is that I will eventually be adding them to my existing flock of six.

Hi, I have six 4 week old chicks that have been randomly sneezing but otherwise look healthy. Do I need to be concerned? Does anyone know if I can have them tested for common resp. illnesses or should I just watch them? Wouldn't they be obviously sick by now if it was respiratory illness? My biggest concern is that I will eventually be adding them to my existing flock of six.
Hi @chickenmom78 :frow Welcome To BYC

Where did the chicks come from?

Do all randomly sneeze - is there anything they are doing when they sneeze - eating/drinking or dust bathing?

How much ventilation is in their housing?

If you feel like it might be a respiratory disease testing would be a good idea. You can contact your state lab or have independent testing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sease-testing-lab-info.1236884/#post-19849025
http://www.zoologix.com/

4 chicks came from a hardware store, same hardware store I got my original 6 last year. The staff at this store is not your typical hardware store. The staff is very knowledgeable and chicks always look healthy. 2 came from a local breeder.

The sneezing seems random to me, I've tried to watch to see if they are sneezing after drinking or eating or dust bathing, but it's hard to catch them before the sneeze as they are very active and I always seem to watch the wrong one.

I have them in an XL dog crate with cardboard covering all but the top and door area. Those areas are covered with hardware cloth to keep my cats out. It seems like good ventilation but it does get a bit dusty from the pine shavings. I did cut back on the amount of pine shavings hoping this would help, but Im not sure that it has as they are still sneezing. Maybe I should eliminate all the pine shavings? Just seems like it will get real messy real fast without the shavings.

They have clear eyes, not crust or discharge or bubbling. All are active and eating, pooping like normal.

You could remove the pine shavings and use puppy pads for a few days to see if the sneezing stops. Poor ventilation, dusty conditions, fluff, etc. can cause an occasional sneeze. Check to make sure there's no mold in their area.

At this point, if the sneezing is random, there are no other symptoms then I would just monitor them.

Hello, please help me out. I have 3- 6wk old chicks. This morning I noticed one was sneezing, looked at nostril, didn't see ant blockage, bit noticed one side a little wet. She is eating, drinking water, plain and electrolytes, and pooing. She is also acting perfectly fine. What should I do? Is she sick? Oh, I did unplug my light this morning, because it was warm in cage and room. The room stays at 70-75 degrees, but after I noticed sneezing, I plug it back up. Thanks

Hello, please help me out. I have 3- 6wk old chicks. This morning I noticed one was sneezing, looked at nostril, didn't see ant blockage, bit noticed one side a little wet. She is eating, drinking water, plain and electrolytes, and pooing. She is also acting perfectly fine. What should I do? Is she sick? Oh, I did unplug my light this morning, because it was warm in cage and room. The room stays at 70-75 degrees, but after I noticed sneezing, I plug it back up. Thanks
Is the sneezing constant or did you just notice it a couple of times?
I would somewhat go on behavior too - active/eating/drinking...doesn't sound sick at this time.
3-6wk old chicks, I would worry about overheating them. If they are comfortable with the light off, i would leave it off.

Is the sneezing constant or did you just notice it a couple of times?
I would somewhat go on behavior too - active/eating/drinking...doesn't sound sick at this time.
3-6wk old chicks, I would worry about overheating them. If they are comfortable with the light off, i would leave it off.

Ok, think i jumped the gun on this one. Been keeping an eye on her and she hasn't sneezed anymore and beak isn't wet either. I forgot that I had added more shavings and mixed in with old. That was right before I noticed the sneezing. Thanks for your help.

Ok, think i jumped the gun on this one. Been keeping an eye on her and she hasn't sneezed anymore and beak isn't wet either. I forgot that I had added more shavings and mixed in with old. That was right before I noticed the sneezing. Thanks for your help.
Hey, that's great! Sometimes they get a little dust, feed or fuzz in the nostril and let out a sneeze.
If you notice other symptoms or any lethargy, please let me know and we'll go from there.
Hope all your chicks do well:)

Back
Top Bottom