Sneezing chicks?

Maddyrae12

Hatching
May 25, 2020
Hi everyone!

I am a total newbie at raising chicks. But so far it has been amazing! I have five precious ladies who have been such a delightful addition to my life. Two Rhode Island reds, two ISA browns, and one Ameraucana. A few days ago I noticed one of my Rhode Island reds sneezing a few times. Which of course concerned me greatly so I went on my search to find more information about what It may be. I was unable to get much information and now I have noticed all of them sneezing here and there when I'm with them. They have no discharge, I very closely watch for that. Their poo is also very normal, I clean the brooder every time I see them in an effort to keep it as clean as possible so I am constantly checking to make sure there is nothing going on there. They are three weeks old and full of energy and so playful when I come around. I have noticed no different behavior or anything that seems alarming other than the sneezing.
I fully deep clean the brooder once each week, so I believe it is very clean. There is no moisture, but I wonder if it could be their feed? Ive read that chickens can sneeze during feeding time, but seeing as mine are still babies and food is available 24/7 I am not sure if that is the cause. I keep a small fan on top of their brooder on a low setting 24/7 to help circulate the air. But I have made absolute sure that the breeze from it cannot get to them. Maybe the fan is the issue? Their brooder is in a bathroom and the door is kept shut most all day, so maybe it needs better ventilation?
I hope I have given enough detail of their condition and situation. I just want to be sure my girls are as healthy and happy as possible. If there is absolutely anything I can do I will, the thought of them being sick or uncomfortable just breaks my heart! Has anyone else had this happen?
-Madeline L

We are new to backyard chickens as well, and ours are about 2.5 weeks ahead of yours! We had one in particular who would sneeze and snuffle in the brooder, and who even had a bit of a different sounding chirp (sort of like, when you have a cold, you sound different). I worried and researched, and everything I read said sneezing is normal as long as there isn't discharge from the eyes and nose, and otherwise acting ok. He is fine now, out in the coop/run living his best life - he still sounds different, think that's just his "voice" 😄
Chick food is super dusty and depending on what bedding you use, it can be dusty as well. As long as your chicks are otherwise acting fine, and there's no discharge from the eyes or nose...probably just got some dusty stuff in there and are clearing it out. 😊

If they don't have any discharge, i wouldn't worry. They could have gotten some feed,straw, wood chips, whatever you use for bedding, ect, in their nose. Ive had chick's sneeze, as well as my older chickens when i throw feed out and they run right into the midst lol.

UPDATE:

Tonight when I went to see the chicks I noticed from three sneezing with discharge for the first time. Other than that though they show no signs of discomfort or illness. I am at a loss of what to do. I am absolutely heartbroken and terrified that my girls may be seriously ill. What can I do to help them?
Thank you so much

UPDATE:

Tonight when I went to see the chicks I noticed from three sneezing with discharge for the first time. Other than that though they show no signs of discomfort or illness. I am at a loss of what to do. I am absolutely heartbroken and terrified that my girls may be seriously ill. What can I do to help them?
Thank you so much
What happened to the chicks? Are they okay?

Back
Top Bottom