Sneezing chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by welovechickens, Mar 13, 2009.

1. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    A few of my chicks have been sneezing the last few days. None have runny noses, and all act normal. I did catch one dunking her face in the waterer tonight (???) then she started panting like she was choking. She would sneeze every few seconds. It was ridiculous, so I took her out and dried her face. I also gently stuck the corner of a paper towel in each of her nostrils and soaked some water out! I think she wanted to be a duck LOL

Is there a point where I should worry about "dry" sneezing? I have allergies myself and often sneeze during the day; I wondered if the chickens might have allergies too!

2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    It's very possible that they have allergies too. Is their brooder dusty? Clear, nonsticky fluid is okay every once and a while. The head dunking could explain it all too. Silly chickens. Watch them, if you see any thick, off-colored discharge than you should worry.

3. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    No, I don't think their pen is dusty, really. My guess is that it is allergies, since there isn't any discharge at all. They make a mess with their food, "digging" in it a lot, so maybe they keep inhaling food dust. LOL. Thanks for the assurance!

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They could be eating too quickly too. My birds sneeze if they eat too fast because they're trying to dislodge food particle. Just something to consider.

5. welovechickens

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Re: the eating too fast....that's entirely possible. It seems like all they do is eat frantically, then collapse in a heap for a 10-minute nap, then up again to eat more. LOL!

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Haha, poor little guys. Try offering them moist food. That will keep them from getting the food stuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by