Sneezing chicks

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
A few of my chicks have been sneezing the last few days. None have runny noses, and all act normal. I did catch one dunking her face in the waterer tonight (???) then she started panting like she was choking. She would sneeze every few seconds. It was ridiculous, so I took her out and dried her face. I also gently stuck the corner of a paper towel in each of her nostrils and soaked some water out! I think she wanted to be a duck LOL

Is there a point where I should worry about "dry" sneezing? I have allergies myself and often sneeze during the day; I wondered if the chickens might have allergies too!

It's very possible that they have allergies too. Is their brooder dusty? Clear, nonsticky fluid is okay every once and a while. The head dunking could explain it all too. Silly chickens. Watch them, if you see any thick, off-colored discharge than you should worry.

No, I don't think their pen is dusty, really. My guess is that it is allergies, since there isn't any discharge at all. They make a mess with their food, "digging" in it a lot, so maybe they keep inhaling food dust. LOL. Thanks for the assurance!

Re: the eating too fast....that's entirely possible. It seems like all they do is eat frantically, then collapse in a heap for a 10-minute nap, then up again to eat more. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom