Sneezing, Coughing Chickens & Some 'Passing Out'

Wanted to share an update ~

As stated above, on Sunday night I started giving 1 cc of Tylan orally to all the girls. It seemed to be helping a little but since it wasn't enough of a positive impact, we decided to take Blue (the smallest with the worst symptoms) to an aviary vet here in Orange County last night.

Luckily Blue demonstrated all the symptoms while we were there ;) she was perky at first and then sneezing and starting to get droopy & dull after a few minutes. The vet listened to her lungs and said the issue is upper respiratory and obviously can't diagnose the actual issue without running tests on what's coming out of her nose. She confirmed our thoughts that Blue's droopy behavior was a symptom of feeling really bad/ill and wasn't necessarily a symptom of a specific illness. She did take a fecal sample and scanned to make sure mites aren't another issue.

I'm very relieved to have seen the vet and get a stronger dose of antibiotics. So we are now giving all the birds .25 - 1.0 cc of 100mg/ml doxycycline oral supplement and also putting a small dosage of powder doxycycline in their water. We'll continue this for a week and see how things are / if we need a follow up appointment. And I'll continue dosing them for 1 week until after all symptoms go away.

Last night was their first dosage (it's funny that Blue is the most social & human friendly but she is the most resistant to open her beak and take medicine ;). This morning they were all super perky & ran & hopped around for treats. Good signs!

Maggie, our oldest chicken who came from my mom, is laying on a pretty regular schedule now (a little more than every other day) but with the antibiotics in her system we have to dispose of the eggs.

I wish I had gone to the vet right away several weeks ago ~ the issue might not have spread to the other birds. Blue's behavior was definitely extreme but since I was not experienced enough I was optimistic that the sickness would run its course and she would get over it.

Live & learn! Pictures of them enjoying their perch attached :)

Thank you so much to everyone for your input along the way!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 6
  • FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    943 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the update - what lovely ladies you have:)

I'm glad you were able to see the vet and get better meds for them. I hope you start to see improvement soon!

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom