Sneezing coughing wheezing chicks?!?

Seriph

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2017
I’ve come home today to find my chicks sneezing wheezing and some coughing. How do I treat this? What causes this? They are eating and drinking, being chicks, but this is alarming. I literally left for two hours and came home to this. I’m freaking out. One polish looks like It’s head is swollen? But not really? Like it’s just been enlarged. It’s hard to describe.

Attachments

• A76EEB97-0006-41FF-9923-71FEC00486DF.jpeg
    A76EEB97-0006-41FF-9923-71FEC00486DF.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 10
Where are you keeping your chicks at right now? How old are they? Where they are stored, is it clean and is it dusty in there? Send a picture of where they are staying.:p

They are in my basement in a downstairs coal miners bathroom we don’t use. It is dusty right now (Cat knocked over the bag of DE while I’m cleaning after getting home.) I rake out the hay, spray down the floor, and dry it every other day. 4 weeks old, mixed group of birds. I’ve never had any batches sneeze before. It’s even been dryer than ususal the past weeks.

Attachments

• 183BD107-4C2A-40BA-8AE3-E8509EDCFD23.jpeg
    183BD107-4C2A-40BA-8AE3-E8509EDCFD23.jpeg
    846 KB · Views: 9
I’ve come home today to find my chicks sneezing wheezing and some coughing. How do I treat this? What causes this? They are eating and drinking, being chicks, but this is alarming. I literally left for two hours and came home to this. I’m freaking out. One polish looks like It’s head is swollen? But not really? Like it’s just been enlarged. It’s hard to describe.
If I were you ( if you can) relocate them from that basement if possible) because even though you think you got all that dust, there’s probably still more causing them to cough and sneeze! And I would be carful, is it dark where the chicks are? Because if they don’t have enough light that can cause vitamin D defficianes!

I did split up the group a few days ago. The bigger ones went outside and the smaller ones stayed in. Is it safe to put them all together in the coup and run outside even though they are sneezing? There is only a small window in that room. I do leave the door open and some sunbath at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs go up so they haven’t started climbing them to the yard yet.

I did split up the group a few days ago. The bigger ones went outside and the smaller ones stayed in. Is it safe to put them all together in the coup and run outside even though they are sneezing? There is only a small window in that room. I do leave the door open and some sunbath at the bottom of the stairs. The stairs go up so they haven’t started climbing them to the yard yet.
How old are the older ones and how young are the younger ones?

They are the same age, I just have some Cochin males that are still pretty light on feathers, a couple bantams, and a few turkey.

They are the same age, I just have some Cochin males that are still pretty light on feathers, a couple bantams, and a few turkey.
You should be safe to put them together, just keep an eye out. If you see some older ones pecking the younger ones. They are asserting their dominance so don’t get worried. But if the pecking keeps up and gets aggressive I would bring them back down to your basemen :)

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it. Should I dose the one with a swollen head? I have Tylan 200

Back
Top Bottom