Sneezing/head shaking in 2 new 20w pullets

Ahavati

Songster
Sep 12, 2016
Woodville, TX
We went and picked up 2 Salmon Faverolles a couple days ago. They were all in a coop (but free range daily) and there was a very strong ammonia smell around the animals. We took them anyway as I thought they could be in a better/clean place. Plus I didn't want to be rude.

However, I have noticed that both are sneezing occasionally and have some head shaking. There is no discharge. They eat/drink regularly. They are up walking around in their quarantine pen. (we have 6 weekers in a coop and 3 weekers in the house. These two are separated in a cage away from the others) I don't see anything else that is of concern.

Could this just be an issue of the conditions they were in or something else? I'd like to treat them and give them a chance but I'm concerned about risking the rest of our flock.

Ammonia odor, dust, and mold can cause respiratory problems in chickens. Good overhead ventilation, dry bedding, and dust free feed can help. Avoid keeping temperatures too warm normally inside the coop, but when birds are sick, they need to be warm. Sneezing may be due to that or from a viral or bacterial illness. Infectious bronchitis is the most common viral illness, and mycoplasma (MG) is caused by a bacterial-like organism. IB and MG makes chickens carriers, IB for a year, and MG for life. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 and oxytetracycline are used to treat MG. Here is a link to read about common diseases including the ones above:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

My only point was, why keep Birds that are already showing symptoms for something that could spread and possibly harm the birds the OP has........Take them back is the best thing to do......

Cheers!
This is what I'm leaning to. I just feel bad because they go back to that :-/ But I have 26 younger birds that we've invested in and I sure don't want to lose them.

Ammonia odor, dust, and mold can cause respiratory problems in chickens. Good overhead ventilation, dry bedding, and dust free feed can help. Avoid keeping temperatures too warm normally inside the coop, but when birds are sick, they need to be warm. Sneezing may be due to that or from a viral or bacterial illness. Infectious bronchitis is the most common viral illness, and mycoplasma (MG) is caused by a bacterial-like organism. IB and MG makes chickens carriers, IB for a year, and MG for life. Antibiotics such as Tylan 50 and oxytetracycline are used to treat MG. Here is a link to read about common diseases including the ones above:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Our coop has a lot of ventilation. I use deep litter method and am constantly pulling out any wet litter and adding fresh stuff. I'm very strict about keeping things clean for my girls.

I have been keeping an eye on them and it's not constant sneezing but it's there. No drainage or anything. I hate sending them back to those conditions, but I am worried about my bigger flock. I would love for them to get over it and have a good home. But I also am unsure about paying vet bills to get them diagnosed for the right treatment and all of that then it's something they'd have to be separated from our flock for good.

You might check on Texas poultry labs or call your state dept. of agriculture to ask about how to get a couple tested. Infectious bronchitis is not that serious with grown birds, but can be with young chicks or pullets. Secondary infections can make all diseases worse. The literature I have seen say that IB can be spread for 5 months to a year after recovery.

Personally, I would get them back to the seller ASAP. I've dealt with IB in my flock, and its no laughing matter - not due to illness / symptoms per se, but the fact that having to run a closed flock (i.e. can't sell live birds) is a handicap, to say the least. I would not risk the health of your flock - simply not worth it IMO.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Today I have spent the day watching them very often as I noticed yesterday I didn't hear any sneezing. (They have had garlic/acv water and vetRX) What I have noticed is there is no head shaking or sneezing EXCEPT while and shortly after eating. They are currently eating grower crumbles. I have not tested any other feed but could that be connected somehow? If it was respiratory, wouldn't they do it at any time? There is not a single other symptom and hasn't for 3 days. Everything else about them looks great. I'm going to wet food down and give wet food to them tomorrow and test this theory before I contact the people I got them from.

They were also vaccinated as chicks. I'm not sure what all vaccines are included or if it makes a difference in their situation as we did not vaccinate our flock.

Back
Top Bottom