sneezing hen

castrbl

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
Roseboro, NC
my hen has been sneezing all day and occasionally scratching at her head. shes acting fine other than that, eating well, running around but last night she had been waking up scratching her head but that was it and its normal for her to wake up and move around. nothing too concerning but i was trying to figure out the sneezing and read about respiratory issues and got myself paranoid. just squeaky sneezes.

my hen has been sneezing all day and occasionally scratching at her head. shes acting fine other than that, eating well, running around but last night she had been waking up scratching her head but that was it and its normal for her to wake up and move around. nothing too concerning but i was trying to figure out the sneezing and read about respiratory issues and got myself paranoid. just squeaky sneezes.
Hi @castrbl
I would take a look in her mouth, in her ears to make sure nothing irritating. Other than that, if no other symptoms are present I would just keep an eye on her to be sure. If bubbly eyes, coughing, wheezing or any changes to her breathing appear I would suspect a respiratory problem. but not until then. Best wishes!

How old is your hen, and how long has the sneezing been going on? Have any of your other chickens had any sneezing? Can you describe your coop and it’s ventilation? Have you looked her over for evidence of lice or mites under her vent or around her neck and wings? Sneezing every few minutes can be a sign of a virus called infectious bronchitis. But usually other chickens in the coop get it fairly quickly, sneezing, with clear nasal discharge, and may slow down in laying or have wrinkled egg shells.
Mycoplasma or MG may have mild symptoms such as sneezing or lethargy, but many times it causes bubbles in one eye or pinkeye. Some sneezing may be due to poor air circulation, dust in the feed or coop, high ammonia levels, or mold from wet conditions. Here is a good link to read about most of the common respiratory diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

How old is your hen, and how long has the sneezing been going on? Have any of your other chickens had any sneezing? Can you describe your coop and it’s ventilation? Have you looked her over for evidence of lice or mites under her vent or around her neck and wings? Sneezing every few minutes can be a sign of a virus called infectious bronchitis. But usually other chickens in the coop get it fairly quickly, sneezing, with clear nasal discharge, and may slow down in laying or have wrinkled egg shells.
Mycoplasma or MG may have mild symptoms such as sneezing or lethargy, but many times it causes bubbles in one eye or pinkeye. Some sneezing may be due to poor air circulation, dust in the feed or coop, high ammonia levels, or mold from wet conditions. Here is a good link to read about most of the common respiratory diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
i only have my one hen and she lives in my house. shes almost 5 months old and it started yesterday but it seems to have stopped today so i guess it was just a little cold

i only have my one hen and she lives in my house. shes almost 5 months old and it started yesterday but it seems to have stopped today so i guess it was just a little cold
Can you post some photos of your pullet?
What breed is she?
What are you feeding her?

When she was sneezing, had you done something different - clean her housing, use air freshener, etc.?

The scratching...look through the feathers on her head, is she going through a juvenile molt or do you see any bugs?

Glad she is doing better.

Can you post some photos of your pullet?
What breed is she?
What are you feeding her?

When she was sneezing, had you done something different - clean her housing, use air freshener, etc.?

The scratching...look through the feathers on her head, is she going through a juvenile molt or do you see any bugs?

Glad she is doing better.
she gets whole grains, veggies, worms and crickets. i figured out the source of the sneezing and its just a cold.

she gets whole grains, veggies, worms and crickets. i figured out the source of the sneezing and its just a cold.
Chickens don't get colds:)

Do you provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed?
She may be lacking in nutrition.
At 5 months old, I would feed her chick starter - you can buy small bags at Tractor Supply, this way it doesn't get old or rancid.

Whole grains, veggies, worms and crickets make fine treats. Make her main source of nutrition the poultry feed and offer one of these things daily in a small amount.
When she comes into lay, provide her with oyster shell free choice for added calcium.

Make sure she has a source of grit (crushed granite) so she can process foods properly.

Back
Top Bottom