Sneezing hens

Cocopebbles

Chirping
Aug 4, 2021
Two of my chickens are sneezing. One is roughly 14 weeks old and the other is 10 weeks.
It's not constant, I hear it once or twice over several hours of spending time with them but it's not every time. They had it for roughly a week now. They eat/drink normal, look normal, they don't have a wheeze or anything when I check them in the morning. Only "off" thing is I see them huddling up and sleeping but I'm not sure if that's because the new chick doesn't stop chirping at night or them being lethargic.

So far I've just been giving them vetrx, this would be the 3rd day. I have corid but not sure I'd this really qualifies for it, and having a rough time trying to source anything else.

I think it could be because we're housing them on the enclosed patio and could be lack of proper air flow. The whole area gets cleaned out and scrubbed every three days with new cedar bedding.
Their poop seems normal though there has been one with red tips but no blood..unless that is blood. (See below) there has been a custard like poop but I was reading somewhere that those are normal. If I find one I'll add to the post.
I'm at a loss of what if could be. There's not a lot of vets let alone exotic ones around where I live.

Attachments

• 20210804_150007.jpg
    20210804_150007.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 12
I think it could be because we're housing them on the enclosed patio and could be lack of proper air flow. The whole area gets cleaned out and scrubbed every three days with new cedar bedding.
Right here is probably most of the sneezing problem - lack of air flow and cedar bedding.
Provide a more open space/better ventilation and stop using cedar which is too aromatic.
Switch to pine shavings - but still get them more ventilation.

It's not uncommon for chicken to huddle together at dark/while sleeping. Do you have roosting bars?

Photos of housing space may be helpful.

The poop is interesting - what do you feed including treats? Do you provide grit and outside time/space as well?

Right here is probably most of the sneezing problem - lack of air flow and cedar bedding.
Provide a more open space/better ventilation and stop using cedar which is too aromatic.
Switch to pine shavings - but still get them more ventilation.

It's not uncommon for chicken to huddle together at dark/while sleeping. Do you have roosting bars?

Photos of housing space may be helpful.

The poop is interesting - what do you feed including treats? Do you provide grit and outside time/space as well?
That's interesting, I didn't know that about cedar.
Unfortunately I don't have roosting bars. I'm in the process of building a coop out of pvc and still figuring everything out. Do the bars have to be infront of the nesting area or it doesn't matter as long as it's there for them?
No treats at all only medicated chick feed and bugs they find. About to switch them to scratch feed and that's a whole new ball game imo... Occasionally I'll mix in some cornmeal but nothing outside of that.

Mind the poop, today is cleaning day..
There are walls on three sides, screen on one and a ceiling fan that's always on. I'm thinking about installing another but not sure what size would be best as it's a 7x14 enclosure.
20210805_080604.jpg

So the porch is screened in? If so, that should be plenty of ventilation.

Change out the cedar, see if that helps.

You would want your roosting bars away from the nesting boxes and higher that way your boxes don't get soiled from overnight droppings.
I'll try that and see how that goes, I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the cedar now.
Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom