Sneezing, should I give tylan now?

ChicksNherps

Songster
7 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Bow, NH
I just got a polish cockerel yesterday and he had an awful lice problem. I gave him a bath with flea shampoo and dawn and scrubbed him down really good. I noticed he is also sneezing but his nose doesn't really look very runny. Should I hold off on giving tylan until I know for sure if he has a respiratory problem or should I give it to him now as a precaution? I also noticed what feels like an air sac in his chest area, kind of like an inflated balloon. It didn't feel like his crop it was over to the side of it. Is this normal? My other two are silkies and I haven't really noticed anything like that on them.

I would wait. Try using Vet RX. It is for colds, respiratory problems and sneezing. You can use it either as a treatment or a precaution. It is applied externally so the bird doesn't have to drink it.

I just got a polish cockerel yesterday and he had an awful lice problem. I gave him a bath with flea shampoo and dawn and scrubbed him down really good. I noticed he is also sneezing but his nose doesn't really look very runny. Should I hold off on giving tylan until I know for sure if he has a respiratory problem or should I give it to him now as a precaution? I also noticed what feels like an air sac in his chest area, kind of like an inflated balloon. It didn't feel like his crop it was over to the side of it. Is this normal? My other two are silkies and I haven't really noticed anything like that on them.

First, I was wondering ... what was the flea shampoo you used?

I'd keep him away from the rest (as I would w/ any new bird brought in), if you haven't already added him. Not sure on the Tylan, but you can use the links at the bottom of my post to look it up (Merck Vet Manual would be a good choice).

For certain, I'd add Apple Cider Vinegar to the entire flock's water, at the rate of four teaspoon to every gallon of water (but not in galvanized containers). It's does many good things, and absolutely never any harm. In your situation, it will reduce the viscosity of the mucus so that it can more easily be expelled. Additionally, it helps to 'cut through' the mucus and other coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and the medicines that you may be soon givin' him (and, possibly, the rest of your flock).

When my birds stuff their fat lil' selves, they tend to carry a bit more to the right han.. wing side, towards the lower portion. And, with the water and grit, it does tend to be a bit squishy. But, these can be symptoms of other conditions/diseases, so ... back to those links ... there's one that will assist you by identifying the potential problem based upon the symptoms, which then give you somethin' to look up in the other manuals.

And, I'm gonna send you to one more link ... it's the introduction page to an online presentation on the anatomy of the chicken ... you can >>peck here<< to open it in a new window. The actual URL is:

I would wait. Try using Vet RX. It is for colds, respiratory problems and sneezing. You can use it either as a treatment or a precaution. It is applied externally so the bird doesn't have to drink it.
Thank you, I had vetrx but everytime I try to warm it the container warps
hmm.png
, it also says to pour it downt heir throats so they can drink it. But I do like it.
First, I was wondering ... what was the flea shampoo you used?

I'd keep him away from the rest (as I would w/ any new bird brought in), if you haven't already added him. Not sure on the Tylan, but you can use the links at the bottom of my post to look it up (Merck Vet Manual would be a good choice).

For certain, I'd add Apple Cider Vinegar to the entire flock's water, at the rate of four teaspoon to every gallon of water (but not in galvanized containers). It's does many good things, and absolutely never any harm. In your situation, it will reduce the viscosity of the mucus so that it can more easily be expelled. Additionally, it helps to 'cut through' the mucus and other coatings in the mouth, throat and intestines, which improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and the medicines that you may be soon givin' him (and, possibly, the rest of your flock).

When my birds stuff their fat lil' selves, they tend to carry a bit more to the right han.. wing side, towards the lower portion. And, with the water and grit, it does tend to be a bit squishy. But, these can be symptoms of other conditions/diseases, so ... back to those links ... there's one that will assist you by identifying the potential problem based upon the symptoms, which then give you somethin' to look up in the other manuals.

And, I'm gonna send you to one more link ... it's the introduction page to an online presentation on the anatomy of the chicken ... you can >>peck here<< to open it in a new window. The actual URL is:

Thank you! I will have to get some today. I just used a plain hartz flea and tick dog shampoo, I have used it on my chickens before for the same problem before I knew I was supposed to quarantine new birds
roll.png
. It actually works well when used with straight dawn right after.

Thank you, I had vetrx but everytime I try to warm it the container warps
hmm.png
, it also says to pour it downt heir throats so they can drink it. But I do like it.

Thank you! I will have to get some today. I just used a plain hartz flea and tick dog shampoo, I have used it on my chickens before for the same problem before I knew I was supposed to quarantine new birds
roll.png
. It actually works well when used with straight dawn right after.

You're welcome. Good to know it's been successfully used, but had concerns that it might be toxic to chickens.
My container of VetRx is in the kitchen, along w/ a fresh bag of Amprolium, and a growing list of 'just in case I need it' supplies ~'-)

And, the quarantining of new birds is mostly due to the virii and bacteria they could introduce, or that you can transfer if you don't clean up between visiting your flock. I even change shoes when I've been where others might have chickens, just to be a bit more certain I don't bring anything in.

Back
Top Bottom