Sneezing Two-week old EE...why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NC ChickenKate, Nov 2, 2011.

1. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Brand new chick mom here with a question...this morning after their breakfast of scrambled egg over their organic chick feed one of my two-week-old EE chicks has the sneezes. She is sneezing pretty constantly for the last 2 hours. She's eating, drinking, acting 100% normal and no discharge. No amonia scent in their box either (I have a sensative nose) and great ventilation in the bathroom. Their feathers are coming on strong and I do see a lot of tiny, tiny chick down floating around as they groom themselves after eating. Could she have inhaled a bit of down and that is causing the sneezing? Is sneezing common when they loose their chick down and move into feathers?
    They have been on liquid vitamins w/ electrolyes in their water since arriving two weeks ago. I was thinking about moving the flock of 9 out of the bathroom and into the coop today along with their heat lamp...it'll get up to the high 60's and they'll have a lot more room...but not if one is compromised in her breathing.
    I'd so very much appreciate some ideas here. Thank you for your help from this nervous first-time mother hen.
    NC ChickenKate

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would say it could be just a little bit of irritation in her nostrils or throat....Like you say, a bit of fluff could have gotten in there and is tickling her.....I would just keep an eye on her and if no other symptoms occur, she's probably fine.....

I have a trio of Coronation Sussex, and there is a sneezy hen in that trio. This has gone on for probably four months, and she's fine. It's just the way she is........I have no idea why....

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I agree with chicmom - most likely nothing to worry about, since iyour chick appears/acts healthy otherwise. My BA is my sneezy girl - when she gets something in her throat, she sneezes/coughs forever (and LOUDLY).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by