Sneezing

Lindsay1976

In the Brooder
May 13, 2019
My latest rescued girl has been sneezing more than I think is usual. It must be driving her mad... No other symptoms just sneezing. Any advice on vitamin supplements or homemade remedies that you can feed xx

How long have you had her, and are you keeping her in quarantine for at least 30 days, so your other chickens are not at risk of catching something. I would check her nostrils to make sure they are clean with no drainage, and look for any bubbles or drainage in an eye. If she is sneezing every few minutes, it could be an environmental irritant such as dust, mold, or powdery feed. But it also could be a sign of infectious bronchitis, the most common respiratory disease in chickens. IB lasts about a month, and may spread rapidly thougb a flock. The main symptoms are sneezing and some congestion, and sometimes wrinkled eggshells.

None of the other girls are sneezing anymore than usual and we've checked nose throat and listened to her breathing. Everything seems fine. She was quarantine with her friends for 2 weeks and few days ago let into the flock. I just want to help her stop sneezing xx

Is this still ongoing? I'm having the same issue with a couple of my young girls. They have no other symptoms but do sneeze clear, watery fluid a bit too frequently for my liking (not unlike myself who suffers chronic allergies)... Weirdly it tends to be in the evening and after eating mash or fruit. It's enough that when they shake their heads near my hand I get droplets on me. I'm worried, but also wondering if it's just a strange norm for them...

The two main culprits have been sneezier than the others since they were a couple weeks old (they're 19 weeks now).

Sneezing occasionally can be due to dust, powdery feed getting into the nostrils, mold, or other environmental things. If the sneezing is the same chicken every few minutes, then it could be a virus called infectious bronchitis, that lasts about a month.
Yes, hoping it's environmental plus moist food (the pollen count is insane over here). I did worry about infectious bronchitis, but read there's not much to do but let it run its course (and provide antibiotics to help with secondary infection). That said, aside from the sneezy bouts, there are no other symptoms indicating respiratory issues or illness. Thanks, all.

Is this still ongoing? I'm having the same issue with a couple of my young girls. They have no other symptoms but do sneeze clear, watery fluid a bit too frequently for my liking (not unlike myself who suffers chronic allergies)... Weirdly it tends to be in the evening and after eating mash or fruit. It's enough that when they shake their heads near my hand I get droplets on me. I'm worried, but also wondering if it's just a strange norm for them...

The two main culprits have been sneezier than the others since they were a couple weeks old (they're 19 weeks now).
It's still ongoing but only sneezing. I've just giving her some bashed up oregano and rosemary in her food so crossed that helps xx

Is there a vitamin I can give as I don't have any poultry booster xx
Not sure, other than vitamins readily available in different fruits and veggies (we try to give them a limited but diverse spectrum of healthy treats). Also, a little bit of plain greek yogurt every now and then helps with a probiotic boost. We do use rooster booster when the weather is particularly brutal and that always perks them up noticeably. Grain of salt though--after all we are the ones with the sneezy girls!

I've read that small amounts of crushed garlic or garlic powder and ACV can sometimes provide an immune system boost now and then, but I haven't tried the former. Let me know how the oregano and rosemary works out--we have that growing in the garden.

Best of luck!

Is there a vitamin I can give as I don't have any poultry booster xx
Human vitamin B complex tablets can be crushed and mixed into some feed or egg, 1/4 tablet a day.

upload_2019-9-9_7-45-10.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom