snow in run

I measured anywhere from 3in to over 3ft depending on where I measured from last weeks storm. I think I mentioned our wind somewhere in one of my previous posts... overall I think our official total was just shy of two feet. The worst part is it was followed by cold, cloudy days. It was -9 when I woke up either Wednesday or Thursday morning and we didn’t see the sun until Sunday. I think this is storm number 3-4 for us and single digit, or below zero overnight temps have been commonplace since the middle of October (the folks in Denver of course are a solid 20 degrees warmer than we are. Went down to my mom’s place Sunday night and when I left my house it was 7 degrees and when I got hers it was 30...). To think we’ve still got 5 more months of winter and it’s shaping up to be one like we haven’t seen on the Front Range in a while. Wishing I still lived in Phoenix right about now.

Treats seem to help encourage the birds to tolerate snow quite a bit better than they normally do. Butternut squash was on sale the other day so I got a couple of those and a couple heads of cabbage and chopped them up and put them out in run for them. I think only 2-3 of them stubbornly refused to set foot on the snow. I also put their “flock block” in the coop with them so as they have something to peck at besides each other when they are stuck indoors. I also switched out their fountain waterer with a hanging nipple waterer (the fountain in the coop with them turned into a disgusting mess pretty quickly so I had to try something different. The new “toy” also helped keep them busy and somewhat entertained. I think when they refuse to go outside (and I can’t say as I blame them for that) enrichment helps cure their restlessness and cabin fever.

I measured anywhere from 3in to over 3ft depending on where I measured from last weeks storm. I think I mentioned our wind somewhere in one of my previous posts... overall I think our official total was just shy of two feet. The worst part is it was followed by cold, cloudy days. It was -9 when I woke up either Wednesday or Thursday morning and we didn’t see the sun until Sunday. I think this is storm number 3-4 for us and single digit, or below zero overnight temps have been commonplace since the middle of October (the folks in Denver of course are a solid 20 degrees warmer than we are. Went down to my mom’s place Sunday night and when I left my house it was 7 degrees and when I got hers it was 30...). To think we’ve still got 5 more months of winter and it’s shaping up to be one like we haven’t seen on the Front Range in a while. Wishing I still lived in Phoenix right about now.

Treats seem to help encourage the birds to tolerate snow quite a bit better than they normally do. Butternut squash was on sale the other day so I got a couple of those and a couple heads of cabbage and chopped them up and put them out in run for them. I think only 2-3 of them stubbornly refused to set foot on the snow. I also put their “flock block” in the coop with them so as they have something to peck at besides each other when they are stuck indoors. I also switched out their fountain waterer with a hanging nipple waterer (the fountain in the coop with them turned into a disgusting mess pretty quickly so I had to try something different. The new “toy” also helped keep them busy and somewhat entertained. I think when they refuse to go outside (and I can’t say as I blame them for that) enrichment helps cure their restlessness and cabin fever.
:goodpost:
Kinda gives new meaning to being "cooped up"

Well, they thought the rafters, couplers, and mesh roof were overkill when I was building it. They just didn't have my vision <haughtysniff> :gig

I really liked your run. I used bird netting with about 1 inch squares on top of my fencing. It worked well until it started snowing. We got a wet snow and it stuck to the netting and before long everything got too heavy and collapsed. I had to go out there and beat the netting with a broom and the netting, free of the snow, bounced back to place. I think your heavier 2x4(?) wire netting would be a better option as it would seem less likely to fill up with snow and collapse.

Taking inspiration from your design, I would like to make a small partially covered run up to the chicken coop and maybe further out have an open run with larger fencing on top. I'm still working on my vision for next year's winter run, but I don't plan on building anything new until the summer anyway.

Did you know that birds have special circulatory systems in their legs/feet to help keep them from freezing?

Well, yes and no. I knew that birds can walk in the snow without freezing their feet, but at the same time, I made my chicken roosts out of 2x4's laid flat so the hens can lay down on their feet at night and keep them warm in the winter.

I suppose both things can be true, but I can't explain why this is. :idunno

Well, yes
Facts.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/why-dont-birds-get-cold-feet/
upload_2019-12-3_15-5-21.png

and no. I knew that birds can walk in the snow without freezing their feet, but at the same time, I made my chicken roosts out of 2x4's laid flat so the hens can lay down on their feet at night and keep them warm in the winter.
Anecdote.

Back
Top Bottom