snow in run

Pics
North Dakota! Yikes, you should really consider a solid roof and something to keep the snow from falling/blowing into their run. We get a little snow, an inch or two a few times per winter so I elected to go easy and cheap. Only one end and one side of the run needed to be protected to keep all the snow out. I chose Dollar Tree clear shower curtains, with duct tape reenforcing the corners and grommets installed. I use a combination of snap rings(carabiner type) and wire to hold them in place. I feel a dry run is mandatory for the health and enjoyment of our girls. We let them out an hour or two per day for a supervised free ranging even when it is raining or snowing. The plastic also serves as a wind break during the winter which I assume the girls approve of.

Good luck!

IMG_1284.JPG

IMG_1285.JPG

Snow load can definitely be a concern. I didn't really consider snow load when I built our coop/run and used 1"x4" rafters and an almost flat roof, sloped mainly for rain to sheet off of. We got about 6" of snow last year and the door was sticking when trying to open it, also the plastic corrugated roofing wasn't very stiff. I ended up raking the snow off the roof. Recently we had a hail storm punch holes in the plastic roofing so I replaced it with metal roofing. Should stiffen up the roof BUT, in hindsight I should have built the run to withstand anticipated snow load. IF you live where you can get significant snow, it seems a no brainer to build accordingly, more slope and stronger framing. There is NO downside to having a larger, dry, and protected run for the chickens except $$, work, space!! But if that were a consideration(after the fact), I should buy eggs at the store!!!!!

IMG_1056.JPG

We built a bit over code for a house, and I'm glad!
You can do it once, or do it over, and if you happen to be out there when that underbuilt roof collapses, it won't only be the chickens who suffer...
When a 35 ft. tall spruce fell on our coop, it punched a few holes in the roof, but no other damage. Nothing fell apart, and only the tree and the roof needed some repair. A flimsier structure would likely have collapsed.
Mary

Pictures will help here.
Unless your run has a roof, you will be shoveling, because generally chickens hate snow!
Make sure that any roofing is adequate to support your snow load, so there's not going to be a disaster, and you won't have to be out there at 2am removing snow during a blizzard!
Vinyl sheeting or tarps, well secured, on three sides of your run, with the leeward or south side at least partially open, will be an excellent way to keep them happy in winter.
There must be enough ventilation, preferably just under the roof, or at least about four to six feet above the ground.
Mary

$2 per egg! You are a brave soul to keep track of the expense. I am worried our chicken grocery bill is starting to rival the cost of feeding our dog, my wife and myself! But you have to admit the thrill of cleaning poop, hanging treats, constantly counting how many and where they are during free ranging, coming up with new names, is priceless! If we had know what was involved BEFORE we got chickens, sigh!

IMG_1097.JPG

There is NO downside to having a larger, dry, and protected run for the chickens except $$, work, space!! But if that were a consideration(after the fact), I should buy eggs at the store!!!!!

I tell myself that every day. :lau

I have kept track of all my chicken expenses. Of course, the main cost of building the coop is a one time expense (I hope). Anyway, after 400 eggs, I have my cost down to just over $2.00 per egg! Thank goodness I had most of the lumber I needed to build the coop and, of course, I never factored in my time or labor into the coop build.

I think you have to have realistic expectations of raising a backyard flock and the cost of eggs. Our local big box supermarket had eggs on sale for 68 cents per dozen a couple of weeks ago. I don't know anybody with a small flock that can produce eggs at that price. :idunno

But, to the OP's concern, it's another snowy day here in northern Minnesota and my chickens are all in the coop. I am considering a number of options for a covered chicken run build for next year. My girls see white on the ground and they don't bother going outside at all.

$2 per egg! You are a brave soul to keep track of the expense. I am worried our chicken grocery bill is starting to rival the cost of feeding our dog, my wife and myself! But you have to admit the thrill of cleaning poop, hanging treats, constantly counting how many and where they are during free ranging, coming up with new names, is priceless! If we had know what was involved BEFORE we got chickens, sigh!

View attachment 1971608

I downloaded a spreadsheet program off the internet to track income, expenses, chickens, eggs, etc... So it automatically updates everything as I enter the data. That $2.00 includes me "selling" myself the eggs we collect. Our local supermarket charges $4.00 per dozen for organic eggs, so I "buy back" my eggs collected from the girls at $4.00 per dozen. That helps bring the cost per egg/dozen down.

If I take out the initial cost of building the chicken coop - my biggest expense - then my eggs drop down to 98 cents per dozen. That sounds a lot better. But yeah, I don't factor in my time and effort in raising chickens. I went into this project knowing that commercial eggs would always be a less expensive option for me. I think my home grown eggs taste better, and they certainly look better than the commercial eggs at the store.

But I go fishing every year and that costs me about $50 per pound of fish after you factor in the fishing license, boat expenses, bait and tackle, etc... I don't know, but fresh fish caught off the lake just seems to taste better than frozen fish from the supermarket. At least that's what I tell myself.

This is my first winter with laying hens here in northern Minnesota and I had the same question(s). I got lots of recommendations for a domed cattle panel hoop house or an A Frame run. Obviously, we are concerned about snow fall and snow load. A flat roof is a non starter in my opinion as we can easily get 18-24 inches of snow in one day. That would collapse many flat roofs for a chicken run.

Having said that, my first choice was to build a chicken coop about twice the size recommended for my birds. Many people told me that their chickens will not go out in the snow and the best way to keep them safe and happy is to over build the chicken coop to start. I open to pop door everyday, but if the chicken run is all white with snow, my girls are happy to stay inside their coop.

i just go out and shovel a spot outside of my chicken door on sunny days in the winter. i shovel a spot about 10 feet square and broadcast some hay that they can scratch thru. they enjoy getting out in the sun.
The coop my husband and i built is 11 by 14 ft. this building can be gutted, power-washed and made into many things later if my daughter no longer wants chickens.
she is an artist so i see a studio or workshop.
as far as a covered run to shed snow, i am thinking something constructed in A frame.

Back
Top Bottom