Snow in run

Cheryl925

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Long Island
So I know they can stand the freezing cold but... My five ladies have had their first blizzard here on the island and snow has made it's way into run. They have a dry coop with lots of straw and pine shavings. The coop is housed inside a 10 by 10, 6 foot high dog run with peaked PVC roof (my husband is very proud of his roof). We tarped the roof. Bamboo fenced three of the four sides. And now have tarped 2 sides. Snow keeps getting in with wicked wind blowing. Straw on floor too. But their still walking on some snow. Is that okay? Gonna try and dig out snowdrift on one side of coop that is half way up that side. Other sides we cleared away all snow and off roof too. Can you tell we love our ladies?

I think they'll be fine as long as they are protected from the wind----and they have the coop for that. I let my chickens out on decent days, and they don't mind running around our large community pen in the snow!

Be happy they are venturing out in it at all. I have some princesses that refuse to get their feet wet. It makes for a long winter when they won't leave the coop. Your chickens should be fine. They'll go back inside if they get too cold. As long as they can get out of the wind and don't get soggy wet, they'll be OK.

Good luck.

I know wet is their enemy and it makes them susceptible to disease. So, when snow melts, run will get wet, snow is blowing in their etc. Coop will always be dry because it is raised up on 4 by 4's. But they be dumb birds and ye of little brains and stand out in run and don't go inside coop when wind blowing and snow coming inside.

Back
Top Bottom