Snow is coming (in May), Silkie chick question :)

M

member 615286

Hi chicken folk! New to backyard chickens, new to chickens:) This forum has been so educational and helpful🙏🏻.
My silkie chicks are 6 weeks old, recently moved outside to coop with covered run. If given the option they will stay huddled on the ground outside the coop, not in the coop with the heat source.
My question: should I keep them in the closed coop with heater or allow them to huddle on the ground outside of it (in the covered run) **during the day**? True to Colorado weather, snow is coming this week. (They sleep in the closed coop with heat source).
Thank you!

How big is the coop?

If you are using a 250 watt bulb it may be to hot if it is a small coop.

Can you post a pic of the coop?
Coop is (3x3ft), low to ground, low ramp. run is 4(L) x3(W) x 6(L) ft
Using *producers pride brooder/heater in coop.
They would stay huddled at the bottom of the ramp all night in the cold if I don’t put them in. And why I wonder about best practice during the day for upcoming snow.

*Which is another question I’ve been meaning to ask. Thoughts on using heater vs brooder setting?
🙏🏻

My opinion don't take any chances, make them comfortable . We had snow in Ohio today. Sorry for using the S... Word :duc🤣
😆
By keep them comfortable does this mean keep them in the heated coop during the day? Letting them out to eat, drink ? 🙏🏻
or keep them comfortable as in let them do what they want and sit outside in their ball at the end of the ramp?🥴. 🙏🏻

Producers pride is a flat heater correct?

I would close them in during he storm. No huddling outside in our coming temps. Put food and water in with them and close the door.

I saw the highs are to be very low 40's for most of us. :tongue I am so ready for spring to actually stick around.

Producers pride is a flat heater correct?

I would close them in during he storm. No huddling outside in our coming temps. Put food and water in with them and close the door.

I saw the highs are to be very low 40's for most of us. :tongue I am so ready for spring to actually stick around.
Thank you!! So it’s ok to keep them in the coop for several days with food and water? No outside ventures in the run?

Yes, flat. Do you think brooder or heater setting?

And yes, so ready for some consistent weather, if and when that ever happens in CO.
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thank you!! So it’s ok to keep them in the coop for several days with food and water? No outside ventures in the run?

Yes, flat. Do you think brooder or heater setting?

And yes, so ready for some consistent weather, if and when that ever happens in CO.
🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Yup closed in the coop for a few days at 6 weeks old is not going to harm them one bit.

I am not familiar with the differences in the panels function so am of little help.

I would check on them a few times and as long as they are moving around eating and drinking then they are good.

Back
Top Bottom