1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Snow possible in Seattle area this w/e, chooks to get 1st exposure

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JennsPeeps, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    It might snow this weekend in the greater Seattle area. That's a relatively rare occurance here, and we only get snow maybe 2-3 times a year at most.

The chooks could get their first snow experience! This should be interesting.

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    lol first snow cover here in tn this year and my hens were actually afraid of the ground. they wouldn't leave the porch area or gravel. they would not go anywhere most of the day unless they could see the ground they are familiar with, it was hilarious. then eventually i started seeing cute feet tracks in the snow, so brave [​IMG]

3. rSpriggs

rSpriggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I've gotten so tired of them thinking it was The End Of The World every time it got white (& I'd have to lay some leaves, hay, pine branches down) . . .
    This year, I've moved them into a greenhouse. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Will be the 2nd and 3rd snow/winter for some of my birds, and the first for a few. Act afraid at first but nothing beats them thinking they can walk on water over the 25' round puddle in our drive way that forms. Might as well be a seasonal pond, LOL. They don't like the snow, see the frozen icy area, jump-fly to it and they flap and skid across the thing and try to walk it off like nothing happened.

This was from the spring when we got that Freak late April snow that got to be 8 inches deep before it started melting the next morning!
    [​IMG]

5. friendlyearth

friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    I posted this in the "how cold is too cold" thread also. Any one ever used heat tape to keep the coop warm? I'm thinking of putting some in a pipe or on sheet metal?

Peggy

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Mine are all laying low in the barn near the hay.

The geese and ducks, on the other hand, are revelling in it.

7. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    We got a dusting yesterday morning that kept the chcikens under cover for a the first couple hours chattering out alarm calls until I tossed corn snack into the snow.

This morning we've got over and inch and the temp is dropping steadily. Even the ducks finally gave up and went into the coop to warm up.

The banty roos in the greenhouse are yelling to be let out, but I think they'll be in their toasty warm roo spa until sometime in January at least.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by