Snow Prep

A2EF8A13-6152-452A-971D-8ECBCAB22298.jpeg

:lau
its not even that cold today and they’re still inside:lau

I think that will work nicely.
No need for hay in the coop unless you want to.
If you have bales of hay, you could put some inside the run but up against a run side for and extra wind breaker.
I don’t have bales (we got one and put the whole thing in the run where it was promptly torn apart; we took out most of it and put it in a bag for storage). I think I’ll add a bit I the coop, I’ll put it in a pile for them to pull apart.

I have a giant snowstorm coming tomorrow (Predicted 16 inches) and am thinking about my girls. They do not like the snow, and take it very personally when it snows. They're like: WHY have you put the COLD on the GROUND, you FOOL
For prepping, I'm wrapping plastic on the bottom sections of the run:
View attachment 2510233
The purple areas will be covered with plastic.
I'm not really expecting this to help all that much with snow (Maybe a bit) but it is mainly to keep chicken level wind to a minimum.
This is an old pic and the run is now fully roofed.
I would do the majority of the sides all the way up with a bit of space for ventilation, but we do not have enough plastic and I am too short.
I will be moving their food inside their coop this evening (it's usually in the run) as well as a small container of water (their current waterer is too big and too easy to fill with shavings)
I will also be putting hay down in the run today, and after I shovel the snow out tomorrow, I"ll add more.
Should I put hay in the coop as well, in addition to pine shavings?
Is this enough prep?
Is there anything else I can do?
I am South of you and the forecast is for 2' which is the biggest snow since I have been keeping chickens. You sound like you are good and ready, the only thing I can think of is water. Are you all set for keeping their water defrosted if you can't get to the coop easily because of the snow? It may not be a big problem because they will eat snow, but if you have been very effective in wrapping the run, then you will need to provide unfrozen water for them.
It starts snowing here this afternoon, so like you I am busy making preparations.

I am South of you and the forecast is for 2' which is the biggest snow since I have been keeping chickens. You sound like you are good and ready, the only thing I can think of is water. Are you all set for keeping their water defrosted if you can't get to the coop easily because of the snow? It may not be a big problem because they will eat snow, but if you have been very effective in wrapping the run, then you will need to provide unfrozen water for them.
It starts snowing here this afternoon, so like you I am busy making preparations.
We have a heated base that has been successful thus far.

Change of plans: can’t find the plastic sheeting. I rescuers the two sides already covered, and will use some other stuff I found for the other two sides.
image.jpg

image.jpg

it won’t be as effective as plastic, but will hopefully help.

Back
Top Bottom