Snow proof?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ccmarie, Aug 1, 2008.

1. ccmarie

ccmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2008
    Yuma, Arizona
    How do you make or find a really really cheap coop that's snow proof? And how do you build a run or let them excersize when the ground is covered in snow?

2. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Don't Know. I bet they wont mind walking on the snow when the weather is nice. Keeping the run cleared of deep snow or possibly putting on a temporary metal roof would work.

I saw on a web page, where the owners were replacing windows and had put some old windows against a fence. Well, like normal on some farms the old windows ended up staying propped against the fence. During the winter the Guinea's would get under them and sun bathe.

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I have seen runs covered in clear drop cloths like a green house in the winter.

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I'm thinking about throwing a heavy tarp over our run in the winter and just scooping off as much snow as I can... Usually, we only get one decent sized storm a year here. I think total accumulation last year left us with 18-24" once.

5. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    We plan on using heavy clear plastic to cover the run and create a dry, warm and windproof spot for them this winter.

6. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    We are going to cover part of our run this winter. I have seen pictures of chickens in the snow, I hope mine don't mind the snow too much.

7. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

That was part of my planning with the run portion of my coop. The roof is already covered with a peaked tin roof, and the run walls are just over 6' high on the sides and 8' long. I planned to buy two 6' x 8' blue (silver if I can find them) tarps and install wood screw to 1/4"-20 bolt studs where the grommets sit. I will then use large fender washers and nuts to bolt the tarps over both sides of the run. The door end will remain open to the weather for airflow.

Pre-planning is the reason it took me two years to build the coop!

8. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    To let mine stretch their legs so to speak, when they don't want out in the sub zero temps we get in northern Michigan I am going to leave the inside door open so they have full access to the barn during the day.

9. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    We didn't have a coop last year and this year we r building one, but last year I took one of those old plastic ponds you put underground flipped it over and cut a door w/ a saw filled it w/ hay and they we're warm. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by