Snow

Not to make extra work for you, but I would probably make a 1.5' high frame (as wide and long as your area under the feeders) out of 2x4s and put chicken wire accross the top and sides and put that on the ground under the feeders, so the Guineas can't pick the ground under the feeders. Also, I would give them a small amount of seed away from the feeders to let them have some (as they are used to it, from what you say) when they first go out and then let them figure out that the other spot is no longer available for eating! 😋
You may have to be careful that small, wild birds cannot get stuck in the chicken wire. I don't think they would - but just thinking...
You could move the frame when the Guineas are in to let the wild birds pick the ground and put it back under the feeders when the Guineas are out. If you make it very light - maybe with 1x1s instead of 2x4s.
Looking at your set-up, maybe two small frames would work, one on each side - easier to move in and out of the way when filling feeders and opening for birds and closing for Guineas. :D
Just some ideas.
That’s not a bad idea. Definitely a way to keep the feeders themselves “as it” for the wild birds.

Back
Top Bottom