Snow

My2butterflies

Crowing
Apr 14, 2020
Minnesota
We got a few inches of snow yesterday. It was basically a blizzard all day so all birds stayed cooped up.
When I opened the door this morning they were so excited to come out they didn’t even realize there was snow on the ground. It was an unpleasant surprise for the little ones that fly right out of the door towards our bird feeders. A few landed up in the pine tree to avoid it😆
6E22C692-E055-4BD7-B5D0-B0BD96EA2FB7.jpeg

The adults just stood there in the snow for the longest time unsure of what they should do.
88391AE1-D7C6-4C15-A803-3635F8598D55.jpeg

I went outside a couple hours after letting them out to check on them. I was surprised to see the young ones all up on the gazebo frame😆 Guess their tootsies got cold and they didn’t want to walk back to the coop. Haha.
507E1227-0662-48C7-BE1C-BB7AA0CEBA2E.jpeg

How adorable would leg warmers be? 😂
He knows better. My first snow with my guineas caused them all to take to the trees and refuse to come down. I spread some hay to form a landing strip toe get them down out of the trees.

Now they have seen enough snow that it no longer bothers them.

He knows better. My first snow with my guineas caused them all to take to the trees and refuse to come down. I spread some hay to form a landing strip toe get them down out of the trees.

Now they have seen enough snow that it no longer bothers them.
I’ll have to remember that if I have problems later with them coming down. I got lucky and they let me walk them back to their coop later in the afternoon.

I’ll have to remember that if I have problems later with them coming down. I got lucky and they let me walk them back to their coop later in the afternoon.

Love your pictures now that I know they came back down! Was afraid they would not, as that has happened to me, also. Sometimes it was a bear to get them back on a snow day. I got some adults that will walk in snow but I usually leave them in now when it snows here (not too often) because I don't want to lose any that may refuse to come back.

Love your pictures now that I know they came back down! Was afraid they would not, as that has happened to me, also. Sometimes it was a bear to get them back on a snow day. I got some adults that will walk in snow but I usually leave them in now when it snows here (not too often) because I don't want to lose any that may refuse to come back.
I have snow today. I open their door and let them decide whether or not to go out. Thye are so used to snow now that it doesn't phase them at all.

be careful with the bird feeders - Guineas seem to be under them and will eat in wild bird poop mixed with seeds - may pick up all sorts of things - mine picked up feather mites from wild birds, I am pretty sure, from dustbathing under a tree that was full of wild birds usually - best to keep them apart if possible :old
Yeah I’ve recently realized that danger:/ We really don’t have a way to keep them away from the feeders. Minus getting rid of the feeders all together. And that my husband would not be willing to do. The wildlife is what he enjoys feeding and watching.

I do my best to keep an eye out for the first sign of any issues. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time...

Yeah I’ve recently realized that danger:/ We really don’t have a way to keep them away from the feeders. Minus getting rid of the feeders all together. And that my husband would not be willing to do. The wildlife is what he enjoys feeding and watching.

I do my best to keep an eye out for the first sign of any issues. I’m sure it’s just a matter of time...

Not to make extra work for you, but I would probably make a 1.5' high frame (as wide and long as your area under the feeders) out of 2x4s and put chicken wire accross the top and sides and put that on the ground under the feeders, so the Guineas can't pick the ground under the feeders. Also, I would give them a small amount of seed away from the feeders to let them have some (as they are used to it, from what you say) when they first go out and then let them figure out that the other spot is no longer available for eating! 😋
You may have to be careful that small, wild birds cannot get stuck in the chicken wire. I don't think they would - but just thinking...
You could move the frame when the Guineas are in to let the wild birds pick the ground and put it back under the feeders when the Guineas are out. If you make it very light - maybe with 1x1s instead of 2x4s.
Looking at your set-up, maybe two small frames would work, one on each side - easier to move in and out of the way when filling feeders and opening for birds and closing for Guineas. :D
Just some ideas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom