So am I calculating this wrong?

Swissmiss989

Songster
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
I set my eggs in my LG incubater on sept 9th at 1:30pm. Would that have been day 1 or 0 of incubating? Our do the days run from 1:30pm to 1:30 pm? Would today be 18 our technically 19 after 1:30 pm? Should I start lockdown today or tomorrow?

I think that the rule is that if you begin incubation before op
noon it's day one, afternoon then the next day is day one.
Either way, you can probably go into lockdown tonight.

I believe today would be day 18 for you.
smile.png
lockdown is today.

Last edited:
When you set your eggs you have 0 days of incubation. 24 hours later you have 24 hours, or 1 day, of incubation. So the next day after first setting them is day 1. It's easy to remember if you think of it like this: The day of the week that you set should also be the day of the week that you hatch. So if you set your eggs on a Saturday, day 21 (hatch day) will also be a Saturday. It's not hugely important what time of day you set them, as day 18 (for lockdown) and day 21 (for hatching) is more a guideline than a dead certain thing. Chicks don't wear watches and will hatch when they are ready, which isn't always bang on schedule.

Thanks everyone! This really helped! This is my 1st hatch so the help is very much appreciated!
smile.png

No matter what time of day I set my eggs in my incubator the next day is day 1. I have had eggs hatch on day 18 in the summer months but I attribute that to the fact that the room I have the incubator in stays in the 80's plus the fact I live in Florida so possibly the eggs started to develop before I put them in the incubator.

Quote:
Agree day after they are set is number 1 ....just that easy. no matter the time. Lock down being off even 12 hour is not a big deal.

Ok good ill lock down my incubater tomorrow morning. I seen one of my eggs start to wiggle today (not alot but a little) they must be trying to get into a hatching position huh.

Back
Top Bottom