So angry and upset.............

No employer is so stupid to terminate without cause.

- I beg to differ

I can not post all the details on this Forum, but he was hired last Oct. He is a disabled Veteran,( Who the Military messed up his lungs....) and included the paper work to tell them so. He had to take leave, leave he had in the books and was approved by them, because of a problem with his condition and the doctors were having trouble controlling his lungs. manger stated she didn't know he was disabled......... what?????????? they said his missed time from work back in March hurt his performance, even though he was doing better, and they could no longer keep him. They had the Union there for him because he didn't even know he was getting fired. They told him he could either accept termination and Not be able to get another Gov job, or resign by force, and apply for another Gov job and beable to collect unemployment until he finds one. They LIED. The Union people said their was nothing they could do to help him, he was still on probation and could be fired at any time. Hubby is applying for other Gov jobs and is afraid to make waves, he is a very passive person. I just hope something comes soon.............

The Union people said their was nothing they could do to help him, he was still on probation and could be fired at any time.

That's what I was trying to tell you! My experience with unions, you are not a member of the union until probation is served.

they said his missed time from work back in March hurt his performance, even though he was doing better, and they could no longer keep him.

Civil service job, they have strict policy that they can and will follow to a tee. If they followed that policy/rules very little may be done to help your husband's situation. Furthermor while on probation, in civil service employment, an employee can be fired WITHOUT CAUSE.

You may not want to hear/read what I am writing, but I do have some experience. You may not agree with it, it may not even be right, but I garauntee before they fired/terminated/forced seperation thay consulted both HR and Legal.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that they couldn't find a reason to fire him, .....I've found out that the gov can find any reason they want for things, what I am saying is they LIED to us and misinformed us big time and any complaint they had was a few MONTHS back. I know on probation they can get rid of you at any time, I am upset about how they did it and such that I can not explain here.... and if you are not part of a Union until after probation then why and the heck to they want you to give them money every month?

THANKS FOR YOUR SYMPATHY

BIG
hugs.gif
your way Jen! I am so sorry you are having to deal with this crap. I know you probably feel like
he.gif
trying to get straight answers when they have their own agenda!! I wish you guys best of luck in finding a replacement job - but can't you appeal the unemployment in the mean time or is that just a waste of time?

Quote:
Truly I am sorry your husband lost his job.

The one issue I see as a question mark---- is; Your husband was actually PAYING union dues?

In all the situations I have been involved with, a payroll deduction for union dues was not taken from the paycheck until probation was served and full membership to the union was granted.

Secondly-- Hired in October (2009 ?), our probationay period for civil service in this state is 6 months ( or it was 20 years ago, I haven't kept up I am afraid).

Yes! I see that my post were not sympathetic, how ever it is my belief you can't buy beans for the table with sympathy. What I incourage you and your husband to do-- get mad, get the red butt, then get over it and use that energy to figure out what you are going to do. Be proactive-- not reactive.

The unemployment-- first shot out the box, I'd say that is going to be a mess. For all practicle purposes he resigned, quit. The employer could and might answer the request for unemployment saying he left voluntarily and work was available. Seen it done before.

Yes, he was paying Union dues, out of paycheck. Probation is 1 Year with Federal, - he did 8 months. My husband is trying to find another job, that is why he took the resignation in lue of termination. Manager & Union both said he could still get unemployment.... - THEY LIED. I thought the Union was suppose to help you not give false info, but these people were too lazy to do their job.It is not easy at all for him to find a job because he is DISABLED, after 17.5 years in NAVY after they sent him into a Hazadous waste locker to clean up spills because OSHA was coming in, it ruined his lungs, he's almost died 5 times, is now allergic to anything but animals, has COPD, lungs fill up with fluid, has been passing out, Doc have been trying to get lungs under control but he is on the MAX of Predisone, Inhalers and every other experimental meds they can give, yet he still trys to work because guess what- the Navy gave him - 60% for 2 BAD LUNGS, which we are still appealing.

For your info, we having been doing things, haven't been here crying doing nothing. I have been selling all my beloved animals and things I can, hubby has been applying for every job under the sun. I wrote on here for the support of my friends............... if you are not a friend then you have no business posting and I really don't need negative people like you right now.

Last edited:
I would also apply with the VA for a 100% disability. it will take a LONG TIME....but its also retroactive. I dont mean to be negative but it's not going to get any better for him physically. I have a friend that went from 30% disability to 100% in increments over 5 years. If you cant get 100%, get it raised to whatever you can, then as time goes on - reapply for a reevaluation.

Have you contacted DAV? They may be able to help you. All I can say is keep fighting and never give up. I am sorry you guys are going through this. My father is 100% disabled Vet from the Navy. He fell down a hatch and split his head ear to ear. Needless to say he has a major head-injury from this.

Back
Top Bottom