So apparently Snow is acid...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Whitewinterwolf, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Yup, just what the title says. Today is my "Refresh the coop with straw and sawdust" day. And well, today we finally got a little bit of snow.[​IMG] yes!!
    However my hens were not impressed...They refused to leave the coop, and well I refused to leave them in poop...So!
    According to my hens Sawdust will eat you but straw is fine, however the snow is acid and if you touch it you will die...
    As I was plopping and spreading the sawdust into the coop they all individually freaked out, tried to fly up and cling to the side of the coop and even tried to hide in the nesting box's until I had to put sawdust in there also...
    Poor Ruby, my laced EE, fell out of the coop door during the violent attack of the sawdust and promptly landed in the snow...
    She let out a scream as though my mothers beagles were ripping her tail feathers out again and trying to eat her.
    I promptly stopped fixing the coop, went out back and found her standing in the snow, just screaming her head off.
    I walked up to her, picked her up and put her back into the coop.
    Apparently acid will stop killing you the moment you touch clean sawdust [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Your description of chicken behavior is SO vivid (and true!)! I feel about the same way as your chickens about snow - although I'm fine with sawdust and straw...lol.

3. LilyLovesBugs

LilyLovesBugs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    Our chickens just go out in the snow and step in it till it melts...

4. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

that's funny...lol [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

6. brambleberries

brambleberries Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Virginia
    My Coop
    [​IMG] HAHAHAHA so funny!!

7. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    HAHAHAHA omgosh I can visualize that whole scenario in my head. I bet it was hilarious!

8. BrettMO

BrettMO Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Nevada, MO
    [​IMG] So True that is what happened at my coop this morning

9. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    LOL that is just to funny!

10. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Don't know about sawdust as we don't use it here but the snow....or should I say KILLER SNOW . That's another matter! Our Australorps, all went through last winter and should be used to it. Not so much. Last week we had a dusting and I had to reach into the small coop where they were hanging out and toss them out one by one and drive them back to the henhouse. Today,with another dustin out there our Brahmas were just puttering about while it was snowing. And they are this springs hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by