So at what age?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lswatson111304, Oct 16, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Can I start posting pics for guessing? LOL I have 4 mixed breed chicks and I'm totally anxious, but I know its too soon right now. They are just going on 2 weeks. I also have 2 silkies, its my understanding these will take longer right? They are about 3 weeks now I think. Not 100% on that.

2. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I too am curious about this. I have a group of three week olds. I suspect two of them to be roosters. How soon is too soon to tell?

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    By 4 weeks I am able to tell what most of mine are just by their combs/wattles. Some are harder to tell. I have 30 4-5 week old chicks right now, and I only have maybe 3 that I am unsure on. At 2-3 weeks, sometimes you will have a little cockerel who has a nice sized comb already, but if you want to be sure, wait until they are at least 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better. Depending on the breeds, of course. Some are really slow to develop and can take months to be able to tell.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

With some mixes, it is sometimes hard to ever tell, for sure, what's in them for lineage.

As to sex, some purebreds can be sex typed at hatch with great accuracy. With others, it is often obvious by 6-8 weeks. For sure, at 16 weeks. But even then, some times you just have to wait until they lay or crow. [​IMG]

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    it usually takes 4-5 weeks...but if someone has the same kind of chicks you have, you may get an earlier answer...

I have a silkie that is 28 weeks..I still don't know what it is! No eggs, no crowing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by