So built the new coop

After returning the Formex chicken coop we ordered I got the plans for one to build. I modified them some and below is the finished (mostly) coop. It is 5x4 with a 4x4 inside not counting the nesting boxes.

I do have a question about the roosting bar. How high above the floor of the coop should the bar be? I will be using the deep litter method in this. Also I plan on using a 2x4 or 2x2 for the bar. I have heard to NOT use a round clothes rod. Which would be better? I have both. I still have the Omlet auto door to install. That is what is sitting inside right now.

Anyway I did have a lot of fun building this. I think it turned out great and matches with the house well. We have 5 chicks that are now about 4 weeks old and I hope to move them out when the weather gets warmer in 3 weeks or so. I plan on having a run built for them attached to this by then. It will be about 40 sq/ft plus I have the 20 sq/ft under the coop.

I do know that 16 sq/ft (not counting nesting boxes) is not the 4 sq/ft recommended. We are only allowed 4 birds total and if it does get to crowded I will take one to my sons farm and keep just the 4. We got 5 incase one of them didn't make it but all are doing great.

Thanks for all the help.
Looks great very impressive. My hens have roosted on both. 2x4 and 2x2 not sure which one was better

Right...gutter after the pic. But I'm having a hard time figuring out how you mounted it and where it drains to. That's what I was getting at, sorry.

I like your coop. It looks a lot like what I have.

I have an inch or so of sweet PDZ in the bottom and do the daily scooping thing.

This article has some great information on roost height and is worth checking out.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/yakisugi-coop.76398/

the rule of thumb on this website that coops should be a minimum of 3.5' high on their shortest side, a height that allows for a roost height of ~20'' and ventilation above the chickens’ heads.

Back
Top Bottom