So built the new coop

I'd put roosts just above nest box height since there's not a lot of room for landing, so that'll make it easier on the birds.

Deep litter or deep bedding? Don't plan on doing deep litter in a small coop with a wood floor. Deep litter favors some moisture and exposure to microbes in the soil, in order to compost down poop. Moisture is the opposite of what you want in most coops.

Well I went for the 2x3 for my roost bar. Found it at Home Depot for $4.48 for an 8 footer. Since I needed 48" I got 2 of them. Not sure if I will put in both or just keep one out for swapping when I need to clean them.

Maybe it's because I use round roosts (pine saplings are weeds that need to be cut anyway, milled lumber costs money), but I have never yet had to clean poop off a roost once the birds approached adult size.

Well maybe not completed as I seem to be adding things constantly.
<chuckles> Yeah, that's the way of the world.
Observe and Adjust.
That's why I always use screws to assemble things.

This is the completed project.
What happens to rain water gushing down the coop roof into the run?

My run is all screwed together or utilize deck brackets PRECISELY so I can modify it in the future (which I know I will). My main coop is more permanent.

I was going to to a similar roof but didn't want water from the coop dumping into the run. Do you have any water issues where those meet?

I boarded up between the coop and run. Then caulked it with roof caulk. Rained hard last night and I checked and no water gets into the run. Pick below.

20220825_184545.jpg

Attachments

• 20220825_192327.jpg
    20220825_192327.jpg
    851.7 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom