So built the new coop

Elkhounds

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
Southern Wisconsin
After returning the Formex chicken coop we ordered I got the plans for one to build. I modified them some and below is the finished (mostly) coop. It is 5x4 with a 4x4 inside not counting the nesting boxes.

I do have a question about the roosting bar. How high above the floor of the coop should the bar be? I will be using the deep litter method in this. Also I plan on using a 2x4 or 2x2 for the bar. I have heard to NOT use a round clothes rod. Which would be better? I have both. I still have the Omlet auto door to install. That is what is sitting inside right now.

Anyway I did have a lot of fun building this. I think it turned out great and matches with the house well. We have 5 chicks that are now about 4 weeks old and I hope to move them out when the weather gets warmer in 3 weeks or so. I plan on having a run built for them attached to this by then. It will be about 40 sq/ft plus I have the 20 sq/ft under the coop.

I do know that 16 sq/ft (not counting nesting boxes) is not the 4 sq/ft recommended. We are only allowed 4 birds total and if it does get to crowded I will take one to my sons farm and keep just the 4. We got 5 incase one of them didn't make it but all are doing great.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 20220412_153222.jpg
    20220412_153222.jpg
    955.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220412_153229.jpg
    20220412_153229.jpg
    964.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220412_153236.jpg
    20220412_153236.jpg
    781.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220412_153253.jpg
    20220412_153253.jpg
    711.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220413_061510.jpg
    20220413_061510.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220413_061513.jpg
    20220413_061513.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 18
Yes they are open on top and bottom. I do have to install some screen on them yet but they will not currently have any covers. From what I know (very little) I will need them open even in the cold winter months to let moisture out. Not sure how they do that in the few times we get to the -20 to -25 nights but I guess they can do it.
Use 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth for the ventilation. Chicken wire or screen material is not predator proof. Make sure your roosts are set so the ventilation is above the birds heads when on roost. On the really cold windy nights, you can use furnace filters over the ventilation to lessen the chance of drafts.

Thank you. I have 1/2x1/2 under the coop and will be using it for the run as well. I do have some 1/4x1/4 I was going to use for the ventilation covering.

I think I have some old (unused) filters so I'll have to set those up to use. Great idea.

I was planning on trying to keep the roost bars low so like you said. Just don't know if there is a "minimum" distance up from the bottom that they should be. I can't got 3 feet or anything like that but I can do 16-20 inches.
You want your roost to be higher than the nest boxes. If not, the gals will sleep in them. No standard hight for the roost bar.

You can use the 1/4" HC for the ventilation, but just be aware that it's a thinner gage then the 1/2". Use screws and fender washers to fasten it to the coop.

Thanks. Yes they are open on top and bottom. I do have to install some screen on them yet but they will not currently have any covers. From what I know (very little) I will need them open even in the cold winter months to let moisture out. Not sure how they do that in the few times we get to the -20 to -25 nights but I guess they can do it.

Thanks Dakar and Becks. I cancelled the order for the one I placed so never even got it. Glad I did. They seem to love this so far. This is the completed project. Well maybe not completed as I seem to be adding things constantly. We have put blocks around 8" blocks around it on end and planted flowers in them. Also added a few roost bars in the run. I'll get some updated pics soon.

20220501_164503.jpg
20220501_164511.jpg
20220501_164529.jpg

I need to add a gutter. One of my last projects on the coop. Was it hard? Did you order the parts or was everything available at the hardware store?
If you go with a "true gutter" like you have on a house, then you'll have to cut the gutter to the right length and put on end gaps with gutter sealant. I think they come in 10' lengths from Home Depot. Then get a few hangers to screw them to the edges of the coop run. Not hard at all, really, just take your time.

@Elkhounds, that looks awesome! I see what you did with the "gutter" between the coop and run now, thank you for the pics. It's more of a "diverter" there but it's a great idea. Glad it worked out!!

I see you have one of the musical thingies in there, lol!! Do they play with it? I have one too and they don't even acknowledge it's there.

Use 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth for the ventilation. Chicken wire or screen material is not predator proof. Make sure your roosts are set so the ventilation is above the birds heads when on roost. On the really cold windy nights, you can use furnace filters over the ventilation to lessen the chance of drafts.
Thank you. I have 1/2x1/2 under the coop and will be using it for the run as well. I do have some 1/4x1/4 I was going to use for the ventilation covering.

I think I have some old (unused) filters so I'll have to set those up to use. Great idea.

I was planning on trying to keep the roost bars low so like you said. Just don't know if there is a "minimum" distance up from the bottom that they should be. I can't got 3 feet or anything like that but I can do 16-20 inches.

Just make sure they are above the nest boxes. Good job! Very nice coop you have there!

Back
Top Bottom