So.Cal here anyone else?

Coastal Beach City here. Checking in. I have been wanting to extend our pet family by adding two or three chickens.
I do work fulltime and don't know if I would be neglecting my chickens. That is my main worry... although we have
two dogs and a bird that seem well fed and loved in our family!

But never owning chickens, well ... I do not know what to expect. Have been reading books and aquiring knowlege on raising them. The books and people in the BackYardChicken forums say, first comes the coop, then the chickens. So looking at my small back yard, I am wondering if the coop should be under/next to the avacado tree. It will provide shade and under the tree is dirt, not so much grass. We do not have a cement/patio area. The coop would have to be a 'walk in' because this old back of mine would never hold up to stooping down. Positioning the coop is a problem because my husband would hate for the chickens to be devouring most of his grass.
Been looking at CraigsList for a used, walk in, chicken coop. I worry about dieses/germs from the previous chickens that were
in the used coop or am I just being to parnoid being a first time chicken mom? Should I just bite the bulet, and buy a 'new' coop? I would appreciate any input on the positioning of my first coop, what to look for in a walk in coop and supporting the girls with my full time job.

I would appreciate any feedback from my BackYardChicken supporters!!
highfive.gif

I'm in Riverside, Ca. New to raising chickens. I wanted chickens but the control freak in me wanted to start from "the beginning." So I made an incubator. It was nice enough. I tried to hatch about 32 eggs and only 4 made it. Heaven knows what i did wrong. Maybe over candling/touching. But then my big dog got over to the backyard (errrr) and ate/got ahold of 3 of my chickens babies. I thought they were all gone. I could not find one hint of where they went. Then that evening I went out to do laundry and heard a cheep cheep. There was one little lonesome scared fuzz butt behind my dryer. So that is our Sixty Dolla. My husband named her, hence the price of all the eggs. She is a BCM. She is not the standard so no intent to breed her. She is definitely a pet, my husband's "baby," in fact. She was born on May 4. No eggs yet. Now I am ready to try again at incubating. I've consisdered shipping babies. I think it is a bit scary to ship chicks. What if they dont make it. I just bought welly eggs after revamping my coop going to try dry incubation and no "touchy-touchy." Wish me luck.

I'm in Riverside, Ca. New to raising chickens. I wanted chickens but the control freak in me wanted to start from "the beginning." So I made an incubator. It was nice enough. I tried to hatch about 32 eggs and only 4 made it. Heaven knows what i did wrong. Maybe over candling/touching. But then my big dog got over to the backyard (errrr) and ate/got ahold of 3 of my chickens babies. I thought they were all gone. I could not find one hint of where they went. Then that evening I went out to do laundry and heard a cheep cheep. There was one little lonesome scared fuzz butt behind my dryer. So that is our Sixty Dolla. My husband named her, hence the price of all the eggs. She is a BCM. She is not the standard so no intent to breed her. She is definitely a pet, my husband's "baby," in fact. She was born on May 4. No eggs yet. Now I am ready to try again at incubating. I've consisdered shipping babies. I think it is a bit scary to ship chicks. What if they dont make it. I just bought welly eggs after revamping my coop going to try dry incubation and no "touchy-touchy." Wish me luck.

Welcome neighbor.
You will have less problems with shipped chicks then you will with shipped eggs.

pop.gif

Hello :) I am new and in north San Diego county, Valley Center. Raising a flock we adopted from a family friend plus about 20 more that have adopted and bought myself. Have all ages and many breeds. I am addicted :) love my chickens. Have a 12' by 20' coop, 20' x 16' run. Hubby just built an enclosure on run for me after losing a few of our free rangers to predators :( they are safe and happy now. Will post pics once I figure out how! Thanks for all the great info, this newbie is learning lots!

Congrats on your baby chicks! Where is white water? What kind of chicken babies are you getting?

Thanks! White Water is a little farther west than Palm Springs. I got a sweet little Buff Orpington, and 2 adorable Black Australorps. *My three girls* I love them so much, I swear they like to snuggle :D. They are only 3 weeks old now and I can't believe how much they have grown in just one week! I haven't named them yet, I was waiting to see what kind of personality they have. The little buff one is very brave and likes to perch on my shoulder. I tell her that she is really a baby eagle and that her egg just got mixed in with a bunch of chicken eggs, but we know the truth ;)

Back
Top Bottom