So confused.. another chicken with raspy breathing

Did they send a report showing what all they tested for?
I’m thinking about sending another one that is showing severe symptoms and try it again, maybe the one I sent hadn’t caught whatever they have now, that’s my only guess to why the bird I sent was clean.

Attachments

• E6BFBC10-C67C-4C1F-ACD2-13E58124AA6A.png
    E6BFBC10-C67C-4C1F-ACD2-13E58124AA6A.png
    389 KB · Views: 8
  • 8B3559A8-F5A1-474D-8F77-D3FADA2F43FC.png
    8B3559A8-F5A1-474D-8F77-D3FADA2F43FC.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
So the hen in the first videos breathing cleared up in 2 days and now more are starting to show symptoms a little bit different, no crackled breathing but they are gasping for air, these are different birds from the first ones that were sick. Could it be gape worm? Probably isn’t but just thought I would ask. I’m going to have a hard time taking one to my state lab since I don’t drive and it’s 2 hours away, got lucky being able to take one the first time.
I don’t think the pullet in this video is going to make it. She was absolutely fine yesterday and this morning she was doing this

Last edited:
I'm sorry she's not doing well.

The video won't play for me.
Not sure why the video isn’t working but she is open mouth breathing and grunting every time she breathes and sometimes coughing stretching her neck out and shaking her head, she has no nasal or eye discharge. I gave her safeguard goat dewormer yesterday to make sure this isn’t gapeworm and I’m going to continue doing that for 5 days. She did make it through the night so I’m hoping she will pull through but she is still in bad shape this morning, not much improvement.

I can see if now.
I'm sure you have looked inside her beak and throat to see if she has any lesions, a blockage, etc.

Poor girl! She's struggling for sure.
I agree, I would give the safeguard to see if that helps.

I'm just trying to brainstorm here - nothing has mold right? No moldy feed or bedding hasn't gotten moldy?

So the hen in the first videos breathing cleared up in 2 days and now more are starting to show symptoms a little bit different, no crackled breathing but they are gasping for air, these are different birds from the first ones that were sick. Could it be gape worm? Probably isn’t but just thought I would ask. I’m going to have a hard time taking one to my state lab since I don’t drive and it’s 2 hours away, got lucky being able to take one the first time.
I don’t think the pullet in this video is going to make it. She was absolutely fine yesterday and this morning she was doing this
I just caught up with this thread.
I'm not an expert by any means but it sounds exactly like when my chickens were suffering with mycoplasma, though there are plenty of different other things it could be too. And its strange that the lab results said negative for MG. Have you introduced any new chickens in the past few months outside of your flock? MG normally will only be present if you introduced new chickens to your flock or they came in contact with others infected by you or another way.
You can also consider gapeworm, and research online how to treat it. You should be able to get everything you need either online or at the feed store.
For now, I'd treat will tylan or tylosin.

Since ours had MG, we culled the ones that didn't pass, and had to clean out the coop 2 or 3 times super good, let it air out for 6 weeks before putting new babies in there. For that reason, I will never introduce other birds to my flock. The hens we introduced (even after we quarantined them) gave my last flock MG, some had Mareks, and also had coccidiosis. Worst thing I've dealt with so far in raising chickens.

Last edited:
Since ours had MG, we culled the ones that didn't pass, and had to clean out the coop 2 or 3 times super good, let it air out for 6 weeks before putting new babies in there. For that reason, I will never introduce other birds to my flock. The hens we introduced (even after we quarantined them) gave my last flock MG, some had Mareks, and also had coccidiosis. Worst thing I've dealt with so far in raising chickens.
I have dealt with MG before in my last flock unfortunately, I culled all of them and did the same as you but I actually waited 6 months before getting new birds. All my new birds (the birds I have now) came from NPIP certified breeders only, I thought that would help. But I think you are right, I may be dealing with MG again. If I am I’m planning on culling my whole flock and not getting anymore birds which is really upsetting to me. Either the wild birds in my area are carrying it (even though all my pens are bird proofed with bird netting) or one of the breeders I got from had MG even though they were certified.

I have dealt with MG before in my last flock unfortunately, I culled all of them and did the same as you but I actually waited 6 months before getting new birds. All my new birds (the birds I have now) came from NPIP certified breeders only, I thought that would help. But I think you are right, I may be dealing with MG again. If I am I’m planning on culling my whole flock and not getting anymore birds which is really upsetting to me. Either the wild birds in my area are carrying it (even though all my pens are bird proofed with bird netting) or one of the breeders I got from had MG even though they were certified.
I wouldn't come to that conclusion 100% yet, if it is gapeworm the wormer should treat it. Though the breathing does sound really bad.

How many of your birds are displaying symptoms?
What are the exact symptoms of the birds?

I'm sorry you had to deal with MG in the past, I feel for you, it sucks. My husband and I have said the same thing that if we have to cull our new flock we'd just be done with chickens, it's sad to see them suffer. 😔

Back
Top Bottom