So confused.. another chicken with raspy breathing

I have dealt with MG before in my last flock unfortunately, I culled all of them and did the same as you but I actually waited 6 months before getting new birds. All my new birds (the birds I have now) came from NPIP certified breeders only, I thought that would help. But I think you are right, I may be dealing with MG again. If I am I’m planning on culling my whole flock and not getting anymore birds which is really upsetting to me. Either the wild birds in my area are carrying it (even though all my pens are bird proofed with bird netting) or one of the breeders I got from had MG even though they were certified.
And when you got the new birds, did they all come from the same breeder or a few different ones? Were they chicks or adults?

How many of your birds are displaying symptoms?
What are the exact symptoms of the birds?
Only 2 or 3 now the RIR hen in the first video cleared up pretty quickly, the silver penciled hen in the second video is the worst I’ve had so far, the other 2 showing the symptoms similar to hers are very mild, they are just making a grunting sound when they are breathing.

Only 2 or 3 now the RIR hen in the first video cleared up pretty quickly, the silver penciled hen in the second video is the worst I’ve had so far, the other 2 showing the symptoms similar to hers are very mild, they are just making a grunting sound when they are breathing.
Ok, so either they are getting over whatever they have or it is something like MG and is dormant until irritated, then the symptoms show again. Remember with MG they will always have it, some will show signs, some won't but every now and then. Once again, I'm not saying its MG because I'm just going off experience, but I'd definitely send another really sick bird to the state lab to test again if you can.
They came from different breeders and I mostly got hatching eggs, but I did get a couple of adult birds from one of them.
The adults could be the culprit, or maybe not and it's just respiratory, gapeworm, or came from wild birds.

The silver penciled hen is looking a lot better today! No gasping for air or grunting when she breathes, she still is coughing every once in a while. Today was her 3rd treatment with the dewormer, still not sure it was gapeworm though. The others that were showing symptoms cleared up in 2 days also with no treatment. When I had MG in my last flock it was triggered by stress and their symptoms lasted around a week sometimes longer and they had eye bubbles, nasal discharge, raspy breathing and coughing. My birds haven’t been stressed recently that I know of but they have been in the past and they didn’t show any respiratory symptoms afterwards. I’m going to see if I can get one tested at my state lab again but it’s going to be hard to time it when one is showing symptoms since the symptoms only last for 2 days, I don’t want to send one that isn’t showing any symptoms like last time.

The silver penciled hen is looking a lot better today! No gasping for air or grunting when she breathes, she still is coughing every once in a while. Today was her 3rd treatment with the dewormer, still not sure it was gapeworm though. The others that were showing symptoms cleared up in 2 days also with no treatment. When I had MG in my last flock it was triggered by stress and their symptoms lasted around a week sometimes longer and they had eye bubbles, nasal discharge, raspy breathing and coughing. My birds haven’t been stressed recently that I know of but they have been in the past and they didn’t show any respiratory symptoms afterwards. I’m going to see if I can get one tested at my state lab again but it’s going to be hard to time it when one is showing symptoms since the symptoms only last for 2 days, I don’t want to send one that isn’t showing any symptoms like last time.
I hope you figure it out and don’t have to cull your flock!

Update: all my birds respiratory symptoms have cleared up for now except for one rooster that has had trouble for around 2 months. I’ve treated him with dewormer, a broad spectrum antibiotic and Denagard which is used to treat MG, none of them have had any affect on whatever this is. His symptoms are minor but still bothers me. His breathing is worse in the mornings and calms down a bit by the end of the day I’ve noticed. If anyone knows anything else I can try let me know, if not I’m just going to cull him. I’m posting a video below

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom