So confused on genders??

LivingFate

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 18, 2008
I have 4 silkies and 4 cochins. I got them in May. ONE silkie started crowing while they were still living inside my house. No one else had made a peep, so I thought alright I have one rooster. I went to let the dog out last week and heard varies tones of crowing when I went to go look 3 out of the 4 silkies were crowing- BUT only as of last week. And ALL the cochins are quiet still, although 3 out of the 4 of the cochins look different - I'm assuming 3 are roosters but they don't make a peep??

So is it normal for there to be such a wide range on when they start to crow? When should I put nesting boxes in the coop if there is a hen?

They all seem to be getting along for now at least so I can leave them as is even though I have multiple roosters?

I have a bunch of silkies between 4 months and 1 year, Out of about 10 chicks I know I have a few (more than I want) roosters, and ive only hear 1 of them do a "honk honk" I think alot of it has to do with my "head rooster" he is the oldest and does all the crowing !!!! So yes I think its VERY normal that some take more time than others, and then also if you have older roosters near or around them it could take even longer !!!

I would start putting boxes in about 4ish months or so, so they can start getting use to them... You can also try putting golf balls in the nest.

As far as having more than 1 rooster as long as they are raised together they should be fine, but then again my "head" rooster doesnt have an issue with the baby roosters !!!! I'm sure some of it depends on the flock and the breed !!!!

Last edited:
So theres still a chance my only silkie that isn't crowing could still be a rooster huh?

3 out of the 4 cochins have (excuse me I'm new with chickens) the big red things on the top of there head, the other one doesn't. And she's smaller than the other 3. So there probally roosters as well huh?

Well so much for having enough eggs for the family...

Last edited:
Quote:
I've found that to be very true with my own two roosters. My alpha roo crowed first and does all the crowing. My other roo only sneaks in a crow every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom