So...did any of you catch flack for having chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by JaJoJu, May 26, 2011.

1. JaJoJu

JaJoJu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I am a NYC girl, born and raised. I moved from NY to Charlotte five years ago. All of my family and a lot of friends are still in NY and I received a lot of flack for making the decision to keep chickens. They think I am crazy and have all sorts of misconceptions about chickens. I also received some flack from my Charlotte friends...not as much as my NY people..... but enough.

My mom and stepdad just came to visit us and met the chicks. They realized that having chickens is easy and not the crazy, loud mess they imagined it to be. My friends here are starting to appreciate the allure of raising chicks. I have had a few, who at first thought I was nuts, comment that the chicks seemed cleaner and quieter and cheaper to keep than dogs!

So, did you get the hairy eyeball when you first started to keep chickens???

2. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    Yes, chickens are very misunderstood!

3. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    They all thought I was crazy BEFORE I got chickens. Chickens just kind of proved it!

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I still get it from my mom (who hates all birds) and I tend to argue with my sil because she thinks I don't think things through.

5. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Yes we did...no I'm getting flack from hubby cause they eat 50lbs of feed in like a bit over a week now...

6. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    I have found one of the few good things about becoming old is that you just don't give a darn about what anyone thinks of you.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    fortunately/unfortunately my parents live 4 houses away....mom has always hated birds. She still doesn't like my chickens, but loves the fresh eggs...go figure [​IMG]

8. Kimmiejean

Kimmiejean Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Yep, my friends think I'm crazy. They won't be thinking that when I'm making breakfast with my fresh eggs on all our camping trips! [​IMG]

9. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

When I first told people at work I was thinking about chickens (over a year ago) They all said "CHICKENS! Why would you want to do that?!"
    That has been followed by all sorts of questions over the past year; "Don't you need a rooster?" "Don't they carry diseases?", etc.

I finally got 5 chicks about a month ago. Then chicken math kicked in and I bought 6 more a week ago.

Now, after I've educated my co-workers (thanks BYC for all the wonderful info here) I hear "I'll buy some eggs from you when they start laying"

So, I have converted them over to our side. [​IMG]

10. constantine337

constantine337 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Brazil
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by