So discouraging

shwestleigh

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
I am really getting discouraged with trying to raise my birds this is my first time ever having any. I have a multi flock of ducks, geese and turkeys and I am having the hardest time with the ducks. Ive lost a number of ducks and my youngest ones who are 8weeks old we put out and everything seemed fine my geese occasionally would pick at them (5) then all of a sudden they’re not acting right I lost another one in its coop last night, had to bring one inside cause my turkeys were attacking it and the other ones. So I isolated them to a pen to be away from all the other birds. The turkeys won’t do it to any of my other ducks that roam with them so idk why they’re singling out these ones.. I hatched these ones so it’s emotional for me to keep seeing these things happening to my ducks. They have numerous water sources, numerous feed areas and a whole yard, I’ve eliminated all hazards that I can find that could potentially be making them sick. I’m about to give up and get rid of them all but I’ve invested so much into them. I know I need to pen up the turkeys but everytime we try they destroy the fence and I can’t get my bf motivated enough to put up good fence posts to pen them. That alone is making it harder on me cause I’m the one that tends to them 90% of the time . Sorry for the rant, I’m just so upset and discouraged, I don’t want to do it anymore but I’ve always wanted to have ducks. Idk what to do

I’m sorry.:hugs I am having troubles with my ducks too, and we all go through a rough spot now and again. You should tell your BF this and tell him you would really appreciate if he could help you with the fence. Maybe offer to give him something like a lunch or even just a movie night together. And I think you should push through this spot! Ducks are just so amazing and every day when I do them I can’t help but smile.:) And it’s okay to rant. It helps us feel better.

Could it be you have too many birds? Planning ahead is important to manage the flock.
Reconsider what has priority over everything else and go from there.

Can you give the ducks there own area since there young. They would need there own coop.

Also mixing adults and young birds don't work well. Keep that in mind.

Don't let this incident defeat you, based on the situation it was bound to happen. Just learn from it and move forward.

Hope you feel better.

Could it be you have too many birds? Planning ahead is important to manage the flock.
Reconsider what has priority over everything else and go from there.

Can you give the ducks there own area since there young. They would need there own coop.

Also mixing adults and young birds don't work well. Keep that in mind.

Don't let this incident defeat you, based on the situation it was bound to happen. Just learn from it and move forward.

Hope you feel better.
My adult ducks don’t mind them at all my geese kinda do but they don’t get super aggressive with it, it’s got to be the turkeys cause they’ve done this to some of my other ducks. I’m going to pen my turkeys and let the ducks free range and go from there I guess. Some ducks we got specific for meat so we’re at the point of having to do that so that should narrow it down some cause with everything it takes me a while to get everyone in at night. Thank you

I am not saying you can't grieve, I am saying that if you own chickens and other basically food birds, be prepared to grieve a lot, they don't last long. I am also saying that if, when you grieve, you REALLY GRIEVE... then perhaps this is not a good idea for you to own these things. Are you fit emotionally to handle it?

An old Russian proverb.

You can't cry for every funeral that goes by, when you live next to the cemetery.
Something to think about.

Aaron

You could love and feel grief or you could never feel love.:)
I personally find that your post gives a lot of great things to think about I just think that the grief comes with the amazing experience that birds are.
And I like that Russian Proverb too.

Sounds like a lot going on for a first time poultry owner. I would make sure the turkeys are separate. They need lots of space.
Maybe even put the ducklings in their own separate space for awhile until you can rule out other animals causing issues. I set up a small dog kennel to separate my new birds and have a piece of fencing that stretches the length of my run that can be moved easily to separate or open up as needed. Always have options available that you can control to help with the management of your flock.

Each species should have their own area. This will cut down on a lot of the problems. Multi types of birds birds in the same area is just asking for problems, especially if you aren't experienced.

If your boy friend isn't willing to put in fence posts, you may need to just do it yourself. You also may need to decrease the number of birds you have so that you are actually able to enjoy them. They should be fun, not a source of stress.

I normally would agree with you but this is something we agreed on TOGETHER on what kind of birds we were going to get and raise, some for meat, some for pet/egg birds. I’m ok with butchering my turkeys and meat specific ducks that’s what we agreed to do, the young ones I hatched specifically for pet/egg birds for our homestead. When I’m not at work the rest of my time is tending to my birds and our homestead, so lack of responsibility isn’t there as your implying. I understand they’re a big responsibility and full accepted that when we agreed to do this. And yes at this time we have more birds but that’s due to the fact we are going to butcher some but they haven’t gotten to that age yet. I’m discouraged to the fact I’ve invested so much into them for hardy birds that I keep having continuous issues. You shouldn’t jump to a conclusion and assume this is something I jumped into on a whim without researching or without discussing it with my bf which is what we agreed to do together. I am fully aware they get sick and things happen just like anything else. I know to some people who have farm/backyard animals it’s only there for a purpose and I respect that, some others do have an emotional connection to their animals and that’s ok too. Don’t go bash someone when you don’t know the full story cause everyone has different view points and feelings about it. I enjoy my ducks and all my animals with the full understanding we will be getting rid of some and I’ll learn to deal with that, as it comes with the territory. I’ve done my research. I appreciate your input either way but it’s nice to ask questions before jumping to a conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom