So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?
A walk-in coop is all I have ever had. They are easy to access the eggs and I am able to interact with the hens more in the winter. We get a lot of rain here so it's nice to have the shelter. It's closed on 3 sides. Our winters are mild so there is no need to heat. Keeping dry is my main concern. So I think a walk-in coop is a good idea.

I have had 2 walk in coops and loved them. However, I had neighbor problems. Thankfully, my county adopted a backyard chicken ordinance and I was able to keep my girls but had to go with a much much smaller coop. It’s been an adjustment but it’s all I’m allowed. With that, I’ve made it work and am so thankful I have them still. You can definitely make it work if you need to.

I have 9 chickens. My coop is NOT a walk in. But we made it ourselves so it's easy for me. One end opens and I can use my tiny landscaping rake and pull all the bedding out. Then I have a 8 foot piece of slick and tuff that slides in that I can pull out and wipe down. The roost pulls out and cleans easy. Then I just walk to the other side and change my nesting material. Take about 15 minutes. My coop is roughly 4 x8. And my chickens love it. I have a run that is walk in. It's two sides.. that are roughly 8x10 and joined by a cool 10 foot long 3 x3 chicken tube with middle access for cleaning. Sounds funny but we worked with our space. We have fun perches in most corners. The roost is both fan cooled and heated in the winter because our winters here have been known to get to 20 below and lower. That's when chickens DIE. In the summer though they enjoy the fans on 100 degree days, or a few sleep on perches or their favorite spots outside. But they always need the option to go in if they want. They almost always lay in the nest. So no playing easter egg hunt. That will save your back. And your allot less likely to have a rodent issue and your flock is safer! I wish I had the space for a walk in coop but until my kids play set gets sold in a few years or more. I have to work with what I got. You can too! But don't cram more in then you should. As tempting as it is lol..

I have 9 chickens. My coop is NOT a walk in. But we made it ourselves so it's easy for me. One end opens and I can use my tiny landscaping rake and pull all the bedding out. Then I have a 8 foot piece of slick and tuff that slides in that I can pull out and wipe down. The roost pulls out and cleans easy. Then I just walk to the other side and change my nesting material. Take about 15 minutes. My coop is roughly 4 x8. And my chickens love it. I have a run that is walk in. It's two sides.. that are roughly 8x10 and joined by a cool 10 foot long 3 x3 chicken tube with middle access for cleaning. Sounds funny but we worked with our space. We have fun perches in most corners. The roost is both fan cooled and heated in the winter because our winters here have been known to get to 20 below and lower. That's when chickens DIE. In the summer though they enjoy the fans on 100 degree days, or a few sleep on perches or their favorite spots outside. But they always need the option to go in if they want. They almost always lay in the nest. So no playing easter egg hunt. That will save your back. And your allot less likely to have a rodent issue and your flock is safer! I wish I had the space for a walk in coop but until my kids play set gets sold in a few years or more. I have to work with what I got. You can too! But don't cram more in then you should. As tempting as it is lol.

Good advice. I am further refining my plans, and I had originally planned to have a covered 8x8 run attached to the coop by a wire "tunnel", which sounds like what you have. But now I am considering other ways to attach the 2. You are exactly right, tho.... you have to work within the space you have, and I think I'll have to re-jigger it as I go. I'm starting with the coop, which I plan to have done by spring, and I will "build around that" to use my space wisely. Predator protection and ventilation are "Job 1".

Here we have hardware cloth windows, and add sheet vinyl in winter to close them up. Where you are, they can be uncovered all year.
That TSC run is not predator proof, so having your coop open at night will not be a good idea. If you cover the entire thing with well secured hardware cloth, and add a good skirt, it would work.
Mary
Yeah.....I returned that TSC coop for the reason that you mentioned, and because it's too small. I'm going to build a 4x4 Monitor coop, as posted on here by @3KillerBs. I think it's perfect for what I need, with a few minor modifications.

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_164625684.jpg
    IMG_20220817_164625684.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 2
Very nice! Does the little pop door close at night?
@BigBlueHen53 I would love your input on my article.

As for the pop door that is the one thing incomplete....I have to get an old cabinet door to cover that. But I never closed the pop door in the old coop for the last year and a half, so I am in no hurry. If need be I have a small piece of plywood until then. The coop is in a 13ft × 13ft fully enclosed and covered, secure run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom