So do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Pics

Ben Lynnsy

Songster
Jul 26, 2022
central North Carolina
Yeah it's me again, the hesitant, coopless newbie. I do "get it" about chicken math, and my intent is to have 3 or 4, but the math says I could double that, altho I really don't want to. My space is limited and I am working with a 9x9 area that is bounded by a tree on the right, my "barn" on the back and a ramp from the barn on the left. There will be a predator protected run that extends out in front of the coop for another 8 feet. The space is small, and the overhanging of the tree limits me even more. I do not want to trim my tree, but there is a nice niche between 6 o'clock and 11 o'clock where a 4 ft roof would fit. I was thinking a flatter style would allow a bigger horizontal space, and a nice pull-out drawer for cleaning would work. For those few chickens, do I REALLY need a walk-in coop?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.55.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 1.55.02 PM.png
    5 MB · Views: 94
I have 4 and we thought we’d be perfectly fine without a walk-in one. We’re still young and thought crouching over would be no big deal….wrong! We’re only 3 months in and deeply regretting not getting a walk-in one 🙃 In fact, we’re having one built Because we’re fed up with the crouching one we have currently. Not only does it suck cleaning the non-walk in coop, but if they don’t lay eggs in the nesting boxes, they’ll be harder to get to. Our girls would be totally fine in their current coop, but we hate it.

My first coop wasn’t walk in. But It did have some sort of access to everywhere the chickens went. A side door opened so I could crawl in on my hands & knees to get the food/water bowl and clean anything out. The enclosed roost area was about waist height with a door to open that would allow me to scoop out the poop and replace bedding. And the nest box area had a door that folded down for easily getting the eggs and whatnot.

This was a Tractor Supply pre-fab coop (not recommended). So no, a walk in coop is not REALLY necessary. If you don’t have the space or funds then you can certainly make due without one. Just be prepared to bend and crawl for cleaning & feeding purposes. And make sure you have access to everywhere the chickens go because there will be poop to clean at some point.

A walk in coop only makes things easier on yourself. Your birds don’t care.

You will not love a structure that's not walk-in tall.
How about a drawing of your current plans, so we can comment on them? Can you add on to the front of your barn?
Mary
I don't have any plans. I am still trying to make a list of my "needs" and priorities. I do not want to add onto my barn... I want a free-standing coop that stands in front of the barn, not attached, so I can move it if I want to.

Why not consider flip-flopping your coop/run location? Have your run backed up to and extending out from the barn (in the space between the tree and barn ramp), ending up with the coop space further out (where your run was going to go). Would that allow for the building headroom needed for a walk-in? You could make the run itself not 'walk-in' tall, (to fit under the tree limbs) but then cleaning might be problematic.

Let me add if you plan on upgrading the coop and adding more chickens at some point you can probably make due for the time being with a smaller not walk in coop. But if you plan on keeping chickens for a long time, like….several years perhaps….then a walk in coop will be worthwhile. Even if it’s just a small 5x5 or whatever. You gotta think that you will be feeding/watering every day. And you will be cleaning the coop at least weekly, if not daily. Do you really want to be crawling around in chicken dust and poo for several years??

Back
Top Bottom