So Ducklings can't eat medicated chick starter?

Quote:
I agree..... I use the same medicated chick starter (Purina) for all my chicks and call ducklings. Ducklings can get and die from Cocci just as easily as chicks....probably even more so with all their dabbling around in the mud.

That said, I never raise them in the same brooder. Ducklings are just way too messy and make a wet mess that can make the chicks sick.

I think it must be correct about the medicated starter being okay for waterfowl as the feed store where I have purchased a couple of goslings refuses to feed them anything but. They haven't seemed to suffer adversely, (10 1/2 months old now), but I still get the one without when I can - just in case. I know some folks don't believe in medicating unless there is an absolute need. I usually prefer to feed my babies (chicks) medicated feed for at least a few weeks though.
Good luck on the ducklings - they are sooo cute. When you hatch them yourself you get to imprint too, which is really neat.

Quote:
The amprolium is more of a preventative in that helps keep the chick or ducklings system from being overwhelmed by the cocci and lets their bodies as they grow build up an immunity to it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom