So excited .... today is the day!

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
We will be leaving very soon to go pick up more baby chicks.
jumpy.gif
We are getting Barred Rocks, Dominique's, Rhode Island Reds, Welsummers, and one more, though I forget the breed.
barnie.gif
oh well! yaaah! I'm thinking I want 3 of each. I'm wondering if I should have a rooster for each breed. Or just one pretty RIR rooster instead.

Boy, that'd be a lot of roosters! Yikes! I'd get one on purpose, and see how many surprise roosters you end up with :) Have fun with your chicks - post pictures!

I would stick with one for now :p

I have a rooster for every breed I want to continue with. EEs, Houdans, Barred Rocks, Sizzles, Silkies, and Cochins.

Good thing I have enough hens to satisfy all their daily needs :gig

I am happy to report back the chicken math turned out fine for the most part!
lau.gif
We had planned on getting six chickens and that would be IT!!
yippiechickie.gif
We returned home with seven chicks. Not bad math, huh?

We bought two Rhode Island Red pullets 2 weeks old, three 1 week old Austalorp pullets and two four week old Barred Rock pullets!

and guess what, not a single rooster. Well we hope anyway. Time will tell. This adds to the existing flock of four buff opringtons, six Red Stars and a bantams!

The 5 youngest are happy and content eating and drinking in their brooder. The two four week old Barred Rocks are in a coop located in the barn! YESS!

Gotta add we love going to the Amish community just down the road but they sure are rough when handling and boxing baby chicks.
somad.gif

They packed all seven together in a single box. I think the four week old barred rocks should have been in a separate box to avoid trampling the one and two week olds. Lucky for us everyone made it home safe and sound!
bow.gif

Pics to follow soon!!

Sorry the images are so fuzzy but they just wont hold still.

This is one of the australorp pullet chicks

A RIR pullet chick

two four week old plymouth rock pullet chicks

This is the first time I've had barred rocks. Mine are afraid of me at the moment. We bought them from an Amish store and I don't think they ever 'play' with their chickens. They both seem sorta 'wild' now. They had about 10-12 of these four week old barred rocks in a small what looked to 2' x 3' cage and it looks like that's where they live all the time. It was bad walking by their cage because they were so afraid of people it looked like they would hurt each other from all the running around they would do. I wish I could had bought them all! I didn't think $5.00 ea. was a bad price for 4 week old Plymouth Rocks. Do you?

Last night after dark i could pet them while they roosted and they made the cutest purring 'trilling' sounds. Today however back to being afraid.

Back
Top Bottom