1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

so frustrated!! can't get the humidity up in the hatcher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cgjsmith, Apr 26, 2007.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I have three big sponges in there and it still only gets to 58% humidity. I don't want to put a bowle in there just incase the chicks come out. Its day 19 so were wanting to get everything right. Crystal

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Maybe try a VERY wet sock. It worked well for me. I had trouble with my little giant not getting the humidity up using the water trays. I added a wet sock and then another childs wet sock and got the humidity up to 70% and above. If you think about it...a sponge is designed to HOLD the moisture-maybe that is why humidity is difficult to raise?

Just use warm water on the sock and be quick about adding it in order to keep temp right.

Good luck and best wishes with your hatch!
    [​IMG]

3. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I used: 3 wet sponges, 1 wet mountain sock (which will probably shrink now ha ha) and one tea cup if water. and it finally hit 70 % who hoo. Crystal

4. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    sometimes just a wet papertowel works great too. one of those bounty cloth kind.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    How many air vents do you have open? If you have all of the vent plugs open, close a few up, leave only one open. That should help alot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by