So Heartbroken...So Upset!!!!!! ***UPDATE***

Oh hun I just got your email. I am so sorry to hear this thankfully the dog didnt get them all keep an eye on your girl she may still use the same nest or start to lay in a safer spot. I will email you later this evening.

Hi everyone and thank you all for your kindness... DH and I really appreciate it. I think I need to explain a little more for those who do not know..... Trixi has been around all of my poultry from day one... they lay on her... "play" with her... She has NEVER has been agressive towards any of them. What happend was she went into the chicken coop where the duck nest was and found the eggs... I guess she was hungry.... anyways, she did eat 6 of them. She has now found a new home until after the duckies are hatched if we are lucky enough.

QUESTION - Tonight when DH went to put all the chickens and ducks up... he said that the two drakes were sitting in the nest on the eggs... is this normal? DO they know something happened and is trying to protect them? All the females were huddled together... I think they were consoling the "mama duck" at least that is what I am telling myself.

Trixi will be watched very carefully from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially around the coop. I think I now know where some of my chicken eggs have been going to... but didnt catch her til today and by then to late.

Thanks again all!!!!!
Tes

Wow thats interesting, Ive never had a predator take my duck eggs before so I cant help, however when I pinched a couple during her first lay she left the others there and rebuilt a nest elsewhere.I would say that the drakes are protecting them, i love nature at work !!
It will take her a couple of days to work herself out i guess, im not sure how much stress she had finding her eggs getting pinched. just watch her, she will know what to do, just keep pups away cause he knows where the candy is!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your duck eggs. My dog loves eggs, it's like a special snack (I give him the ones that break or that I accidently dropped). Good luck with the rest of the eggs.

I will definatly keep an eye out mum... unless she lays later in the morning... she has no choice but to lay them in the coop becuase that is where she is locked up. I had to lock them all up after loosing 1 khaki female and then having another close call with another predator that we never caught... I just hope that it does all sort it self out... and I do hope that she will at least try to take care of the others that are left. Just so upsetting!!!!!!! DH is just as upset since we got these duckies for him and he was actually getting excited of being a duckie papaw lol... well... if it is not ment to be... there is always the spring time I guess... we were real worried anyways going into the cold weather... I will keep you all posted on what she does and how thing progress

QUESTION again - IF she does start laying in a new spot... do I take these original eggs and put them in the new nest????

MUM - what do you mean you "pinched"???? please forgive my ignorance... I am still upset and tired

Last edited:
You know what I just thought about.... too bad I do not have an incubator!!!! That would probably make me feel a little better... oh well....

Southern... thank you hun!!!

windy.....I have a incubator...sitting idle for the moment!
gig.gif
Hopeing to get a few more cornish eggs from my gals...and start again!

Well if you were closer... OR I still lived in Indiana... I would take you up on the offer... OR... you can send it to me... and after they hatch... I can send it back LOL

I wonder if there is anyone on here that is close to you that'll let you use their incubator. If I had one I'd let you use mine.

Thanks Southern... I have some of the parts to build one... but not all of them... and with it being the first of the month don't really have the funds to get the rest of the supplies. Oh well... I will just wait and see what happens.

That is awfully sweet of you!!!
Tes

Back
Top Bottom