So, how many of you live in urban settings?

suburban/urban. we had a rooster for awhile (oh god i loved him!) the neighbors loved his crowing. but we're going to move to a place where roosters are banned so we had to get rid of my dear penelope

Definitely urban, north of Boston.
8000' lot, neighbors real close but everyone loves the 'girls' and the kids are always visiting. The yard has lots of fun places for the girls who are out and about quite a bit when I am home as they stay in the yard. No roosters allowed per the city (I'm approved for 4 hens) so I'm keeping an eye and ear on Cora who may have to leave and live as Carl...

Well, we used to have a large piece of irrigated land upon which we had several chicken yards and a large garden and about thirty pecan trees. We sold it after the old folks died. A whole neighborhood is there now.

And so now, I live in the middle of the city smack dab against a noisy freeway. I have no chickens now, but in the fall when it cools off we plan on getting some chicks.

I have an eight foot wall around the backyard, and the city code says I can have up to 20 hens, no roosters. However, the neighborhood is pretty much the barrio and these people do pretty much what they want.

Other people have chickens, and there is a little white bantam rooster that runs from yard to yard visiting his girls. We call him Brigham Young.

Rufus

We live within city limits of Vandalia, Oh on about an acre of land. However, there is talk about some grandfather clause in our area about having livestock. Our neighbors up the hill have chickens and unless I upset one of my neighbors, I don't think we'll have a problem having the chickens. I would love for them to be free range, but since we are unsure of the actual law, we will keep them in the coop/run for awhile and maybe have them out with us from time to time. I'd love to have one of those baby gate things for the yard so that they get some fresh air. They are only 2 weeks old today! But they are changing so much. So far our neighbors that know we have them have been very gracious about it. Our street is kinda rural.

I'm in west central Ohio, zoned "residential," but somewhat rural on 3.5 acres. Our view out our front yard is acres and acres of soybeans and corn. We're in Franklin county, and our laws say that 5 acres are required for any kind of livestock, including chickens, but since we're way out here nobody cares. Two people on my street have chickens, and both have roosters that I hear crowing when I'm out for bike rides. Someone from OEFFA, our state organic group, told me that I was going to get busted by our county, but I'm really not worried. Development is getting closer, and once the farms across the street are gone, we'll sell and move to some place bigger.

Here's a sunset in my back yard:

100_0427.jpg

Amy

We live in a rural neighborhood. We live on 6 acres, I can't imagine living in a subdivision on top of my neighbor. There are chickens, goats, cows, horses and peacocks all around us - so no complaints here.

Our house is in a subdivision, in an area deemed 'rural-residential.' Other folks in the area have chickens. It used to be all farms in our area, but is turning into all subdivisions.

We made sure it was cool with the neighbors before we got our girls. Wouldn't free range when we aren't home since lots of hawks and cats and dogs roaming around. They play outside while I work in the gardens, though.

The only neighbor who requested no roosters is the one with a large dog that barks all night and sleeps in my garden beds...

Back
Top Bottom