So, how many of you live in urban settings?

Rural subdivision with one acre lots or more. I'm on one acre on the corner. I love the corner lot but feel "exposed" I've been planting evergreen shrubs and trees to provide coverage!

Last edited:
I guess it's sort of suburban here.... It used to be quite rural with a lot of small farms. My next door neighbors house still has the old coop and outhouse. There are a few houses from the 1800's on my street, but most of the bigger lots have been divided up and people are building everywhere now. We have an acre that is pretty private. There is a wall of 75 foot pines up two sides of property and we can only see one neighbor (and we like her so that's a good thing.)
Several people on the street have chickens and we often hear a rooster crow from a house about 5 down. It doesn't bother us, so we're hoping if we end up with one it won't be a big deal.

I live right next to a major highway that gets so heavy in trafic that it literally is stop and go every day during rush hour. Tiny subdivisions are going up all round our lot. Luckily I'm on 7 acres so nobody cares. When people do come by, most say its really cool and that they never knew it existed. They say it's almost like the left the city even though they only went down our driveway.

I'm urban / suburban. Neighbors (and we've got them on either side, in the back, and across the street) have been very positive about the chickens. Here are the girls getting a bit adventurous heading down our street:

2_chicken-road.jpg

I'm two blocks from downtown Mt Airy (Mayberry) but bought an historical home in a commercial zoned area. So I have two huge abandoned parking lots on either side of me...closed up knitting plants. The great thing...is they had a chain link fence topped with barbed wire on all three sides of my property. The hens can free-range all over the lot (1.5 acres) right in the middle of town.
Our ordinances allow poultry in the city limits...no restrictions on number, etc. We just cannot allow them to free-roam in the city...lol.

Suburban? i have no clue... probably suburban or rural. I dont even have an acre of land but, i dont have to cuz my chicken have a chicken tractor.YAY for tht. they would get pancaked by Rt 9D if they were free roaming.

Suburban here - in San Antonio, TX. Our neighbors to the left of us talk about when they lived in Germany and had chickens. Our neighbor to the right talks about the days when his grandma had chickens... Both neighbors loved the crowing of our roosters (said it brought back good memories), but it seemed they were the only ones, so we had to get rid of them. Now I have a silver laced Polish male if anyone is nearby and wants him... Let me know. I'd just love to have a small farm where I could really go chicken crazy! Those of you who do are soooo lucky.

Back
Top Bottom