So how many of you raise meat rabbits also?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ssledoux, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    I'm just wondering what some reasons for doing both would be. I've been reading some positives about the rabbits and considering doing both (though I'm not sure I can actually do it).

Anyway, if you do raise both, can you tell me why?

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    we have both, cause a guy can only eat so much chicken befor he wants something different.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Ditto to the above posts. I have three does and a buck. So that gives us alot of rabbit meat for the family, plus you can sell some. I also raise about 50 meat birds. It's nice to have a variety of meat to eat. Our plan is to not have to buy any meat from the grocery store. I have a guy down the road that I trade some chicken and rabbits for beef. I plan on getting a pig and quail too. We also hunt turkey and deer. So basically we have our meat covered.

The only downside of rabbits is it can be difficult to dispatch them as they are sooo cute. but after you do a few, it gets easier. Also with rabbits, you can sell the pelts, and use their poop to raise worms to sell also. Some people are also very interested in buying rabbit poo as it is a very good fertilizer. Rabbits are fun and easy to raise. ( but you still need to do your homework before you get them)

5. ssledoux

ssledoux Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    I was just wondering, since everyone says it "tastes like chicken," if there was really much of a difference. I have eaten wild rabbit, but not domestic. I have no problem with most things though, so I am sure I'll like it just fine.

The being cute thing is something that disturbs me greatly. I am considering it because hubby rabbit hunts and I know that for him it'll be much easier to skin them and process them just because of sheer practice.

Also, I am finding that these free-ranging meat birds are pretty mean to one another. I don't know how many chickens I will want to raise each year because of that.

We've had rabbits for pets on and off and I'm just not sure I'll be able to separate that from having ones to eat. Of course, like anything, if you don't handle them they get so wild. I would guess that makes it a little easier come dispatching time.

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Well, the breeders can still be thought of as pets--sort of... It's the offspring that you dispatch, and they are only around for about 12 weeks. Kinda makes it easier, you do develop a bond with the breeders. And I have named my breeders--Izzy, Flopsy, Dixie and Roger. (well, my dd named them). I've got 7 ready to "go" in about 2 months.

7. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Quick receipe for rabbit.

Fry like chicken, roll in butter milk, flour (seasoned with whatever you like) and repeat.

Fry the rabbit (cast iron skillet seems to be the best).

Then make a gravy from the stuff left in the skillet. Then bake the rabbit in the gravy you just made for about an hour to hour and a half at about 350 degrees. Hmmm Hmmm good.

This is generally how we cook wild rabbit so that it is good and tender when you eat it but we do it with tame rabbit as well. With the tame rabbit do not fry until done and do not bake as long either.

One thing you can do with this as well is to put homemade noodles or dumplings in the dish when you place it in the oven. Cook the noodles or dumplings in boiling water first then add to the "casorole".

When we cook this there is never any leftovers, a complete hit in our house.

8. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Hi1 Rabbit is very good. Domestic rabbit high pro. low fat. You can do anything with it. People say it taste the same as chicken but I don't agree. One thing about meat rabbits they are generally all white. After you look at 40 babies with eighty pink eyes looking at you, you kinda get away from the pet part. I raised meat and show rabbits I think a chicken can be more of a pet. I guess I am not really a rabbit pet person. I am seriously thinking of getting a trio of meat ones. In the past I had New Zeland/Flemish x and pure New Zeland buck. I do have to get them processed, I just can't do the killing. I am used to fixing.HA!

9. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  10. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I am..... trying. Not very good at it yet, but thanks to the friends here I am learning. TIMOTHY hay. TIMOTHY hay. TIMOTHY hay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by