So I am running an experiment... Day 3

Quail_Antwerp

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Ohio
I won some eggs off eBay to go in my bator....6 blue cochin bantams and 6 Silver Phoenix. Well the BC's were what I was wanting the most, and the SP's are just to see if I can hatch a roo for my two girls.

Problem is, after I put the BC's in, my 'bator was full, no room for the SP's with everything else in there.

So I have plugged in my still air LG, have it warming up, fixed up a paper carton so I can try the carton method (I am handturning everything in the forced air) and as soon as I have temps regulated, the SP's are going in the still air using the egg carton method. My goal is to have atleast one hatch. Setting a low goal, so I won't be too terribly disappointed if nothing hatches
smile.png

Now, here's the thing, I currently have no way to read the humidity on it, as my only thermometer that reads temp and humidity is in the forced air. No way is that coming out because all of my "special" eggs are in there. I have just a thermometer in the still air. I will do my best to regulate temps, and will guess on the humidity until I can get another hydrometer in the next day or two.

I plan to candle the SP's everyday, I know people don't advise this, but since I am using this as a learning experience I want to document what I see in the eggs each day. I will also update this thread daily for anyone who would like to know how it goes. I will also include pictures.

I am hoping the 'bator will be stable temp wise to set the eggs this evening.

Oh, and I only paid $1.25 for these 6 eggs and they shipped free with my BC's so if it doesn't work, I haven't lost alot of money!

I have numbered the six eggs 1-6 (of course lol) and have a sheet of paper made out with the breed name at the top and I will put the date on it when I set them. I also have all 6 eggs numbered down the page and have left a space so I can take notes.

Wish me luck!!

edited for typo

Last edited:
Sounds good...since you're trying so many different things and set your goal low, you'll probably get a 100% hatch!!!
Good luck and keep us posted!
clap.gif

~Rebecca

needmorechickens! :

Sounds good...since you're trying so many different things and set your goal low, you'll probably get a 100% hatch!!!
Good luck and keep us posted!
clap.gif

~Rebecca

Thanks! but don't jinx it before I even get started LOLOL​

Good luck!!
fl.gif
Here's a link with a diagram of what the air sac should look like with proper humidity. When my LG was still air, I had to fill all the bottom trays, plus add a small bowl with sponges and water. i got a small PC fan off eBay for $4, to add to mine. Now it holds temps and humidity beautifully, and the only water in there is a 1"x1"x3" piece of sponge, that I re-wet daily.
wink.png

<edit> forgot to paste the link
roll.png

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/hatch.htm#cond

Last edited:
Ok, so right now, I am waiting on the temps to stable. I had it stable at 102 with just the thermometer in it. I have since added a paper egg carton that I intend to set the eggs in through out the entire incubation. The temp went up to 108! So I have adjusted it, and it has come back down to 104, still working on getting it back down to 102.

I used a child's medicine cup to put water into the well. I think the cup holds about 2 tsps water, and I only put water in the two outside wells.

I also just added a small piece of wood under one end of the paper egg carton. I figure I will try to get the temps stable with those in the 'bator before adding the eggs.

Ok, after reading a few posts on here about still air LG's and the egg carton method, it looks like I will be hand turning for this experiment.

The reasoning is so that all of the eggs are at the same level during days 1-18 so that the temperature is even.

Back
Top Bottom